14

Chapter 14: Confronting Vincent

The ominous clink of my chains echoed through the silence as I sat restrained in the high-ceilinged, baroque chamber. The air was heavy with the scent of antique leather and Vincent's overpowering cologne. My heart pounded against my chest, an unwelcome drumroll to the dangerous events unfolding.

The heavy wooden doors burst open, spilling a sliver of hope into the room along with the figures of Thompson, Emily, and Max as they marched into Vincent's lair, their expressions steely, resolved to finally end this nightmare.

"Heh So, you came," Vincent's voice rumbled across the room as he reclined in his oversized armchair, a smug grin spreading across his lips like the curling smoke from his thick cigar.

"I'm not afraid of you, Russo!" Thompson barked, his hand resting on his holstered gun.

"You will be," Vincent replied, his dark eyes flicking over to me, the corners of his mouth twitching. "Isn't that right, mi piccola?"

I whimpered softly, desperately wiggling against my bounds. "Emily... please," I gasped out, my voice betraying my facade of courage.

"Samantha!" Emily cried, starting towards me, but the sharp click of a dozen safeties disengaging stopped her dead in her tracks. Vincent's men, a suffocating sea of black suits and dead, shark-like eyes, surrounded us, their guns aimed with ruthless precision.

Max glanced at Emily before taking a defiant step forward. "Let her go, Vincent. This ends now!"

Vincent's face twisted in a sudden rage, his fist slamming down onto the carved mahogany of his vintage desk, causing a reverberating thud. "You think you can waltz into my home and dictate terms?!" he growled, the ashes from his cigar crumbling onto the pristine floor.

I seized the momentary distraction and surged up, diving towards Emily's outstretched hands. But my attempt was short-lived as Vincent's iron grip ensnared me, yanking me back against his crushing embrace.

"No, Sammi!" Emily screamed, her eyes wild with terror.

Vincent chuckled darkly, the sound burrowing into my soul like a worm. He crouched down to me, his face inches from mine, his breath mingling with my frenzied pants. "Ah, cara mia, they want to tear you away from me... Over my dead body," he hissed in Italian, his arms like steel bands pulling me tighter.

"Vincent, you don't have to do this," Thompson pleaded, his voice strained with urgency.

"Shut up!" Vincent bellowed, his grip on me unyielding. "Nobody takes what's mine"

"Vincent, listen to me," Emily tried again, her voice softer now, pleading. "She's not a trophy. Let her go. This isn't love."

"Love?" Vincent scoffed, his gaze flicking toward Emily with a dangerous glint. "Love is possession, control. Love is everything." His eyes locked with mine again, a twisted apology in their black depths.

Thompson looked at Max, who nodded almost imperceptibly. The two men shared a silent understanding, a silent countdown. Three. Two.

"I'm sorry, Vincent," Thompson muttered under his breath, his hand inching toward his gun.

Vincent's eyes narrowed, but before he could react, the sound of scuffling erupted as Max lunged at the closest henchman, knocking the gun from his grasp. The room erupted into chaos, shouts and the sound of flesh hitting flesh drowning out my own panicked cries.

In the mayhem, Vincent's hold on me slackened. For a moment, I dared to dream of escape. But those dreams were dashed as quickly as they had come, Vincent pulling me back into his devastating embrace, his laugh unsettlingly calm amidst the pandemonium."Non lascerò che ti portino via da me bambina, sei tutta mia. So show them" Vincent purred into my ear, his hot breath sending shivers tangling down my spine. "Show them you belong to me."

"Never," I spat back, the word bubbling from some untapped reservoir of defiance.

As the struggle reached its fever pitch, Emily threw a desperate glance my way, her eyes shining with unshed tears and a silent promise. We both knew this was more than a physical battle; it was a fight for my very soul.

Vincent's eyes met mine once more, the madness dancing within them. "We will be together, per sempre," he whispered, his voice dangerously serene, a stark contrast to the bloodied violence that spiraled around us.

I stared into the abyss of his eyes, the twisted promise ringing in my ears. "Freedom," I whispered back, more to myself than to him. And with that single word, I resolved that this, this terror, would not be my end.

The clashing crescendo of The Cops Vs The Russos awaited just beyond the horizon, and I, Samantha St.Onge, would be ready to face it head-on.