Chapter 5-Shani

I woke up in an empty bed this time not in Matthew's room instead it was my bed.  I have mixed feelings about waking up alone, without Matthew.  As I sat there thinking more and more.  I shook my head trying to make it stop.

It helped a little but I knew I needed to get up.  I changed into a pair of joggers, hooded top and put on my running shoes.  I opened my bedroom door before putting on my headphones.

No one was up from what I could see.  I walked through the kitchen to get a glass of water before my morning run.  As I finished it and put the glass in the sink, I felt it.  A pair eyes, I knew it had to be one of two people and I prayed it was my dad.  I wanted to try and avoid Matthew until I could figure out how I felt.

As I turned around, I was met with a shirtless Matthew with sleep deprived written across his forehead.  "What are you doing here?"  I ask questioningly.

"I guess Po-Coach never had the chance to tell you.  I moved in when he started getting more noticeably sick and needing more and more help around the house." He pauses, " He didn't want to bother you with his health.  He knew you were adjusting to being a college graduate."  He looked sad as if he wanted to say something but couldn't bring himself to say it.

I take a few steps forward and continue as I say, "I guess that makes sense.  But you of all people know how much I hate being in the dark.  I hate people that hide shit from me, especially the information that involves my dad being sick."  I paused on the verge of tears.  "The way your room looked, you've been here almost a year. A fucking year that you two have known about him being sick."  I basically in his face with my pointer finger on his poking him as I speak.  "A year." 

I finally out my headphones back on and leave the house.  I knew Matt wasn't going to follow me because of the way he was dressed and the fact that his semi would keep him from catching up or so I thought.  That stupid truck was already behind me but I couldn't hear him over "A Bar Song by Shaboozey" baring in my ears. 

I continued to ignore him until he tackled me, but making sure I hit the grass.  "What the fu-" I'm interrupted by Matthew kissing me softly then quickly turning passionate and as if it was instinct I kissed him back for about 30 seconds before the memories of what just happened a few minutes ago. As any sensible woman would do, I gave him a seconds to think i was enjoying it, at least long enough to position my knee to make him bellow in pain by his dick meeting my knee. 

At that moment I ran back to my house to try and avoid what came next, the retaliation that I knew was coming. As I made it safely back into my house and was opening my door I hear, "SHANI!!!!  WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!" Matthew screams. 

As he takes a step closer I quickly moved into my room and locked the door.  I knew Matthew would bust my door down and if I talked shit welp, at least I'd get laid.  It's been almost 8 months since the murder of my best friend and almost 5 since Steven decided I was too lame and mopey to be engaged to. 

I'm brought out of my thoughts by knocking, " Shani?  Are you in there?  Can we talk please?  I'm sorry."  Matthew asks almost pleading to see me.

"I'm not opening my door." I pause and sit next to it.  "Why didn't you at least text me?"  It was a genuine question that I felt deserved an answer.

I can hear Matthew sit down on the ground and put his head against the door, "He didn't want to worry you and threatened to over due or on the sports and that I wouldn't be able to coach with him. 

I can understand why, "but how long have you guys known it's cancer and to the severity?"  Before my thoughts went into overdrive, I needed to find out exactly when.