5. Converging Paths

"Be sure to let me know if you need anything!" Called Lachlan as Jonas made his way from the house to the shed where he'd chosen to sleep.

He'd been surprised to discover that the shed was actually warmer than the house. Jonas suspected that its lack of windows had something to do with it. The shed was small, built of stone, and was heated by a modest propane space heater. It's lack of windows meant that the only drafts came in from the door frame and any small cracks that existed between the shingles of the roof.

Jonas wasn't quite as hardy as his uncle, Lachlan MacNab, nor his cousin Davina; both of whom lived in the modest house on the hill. Outside of which slumped an old Volkswagen that had probably not spent more than 200 miles (321.87 km) on paved roads. They were both braver and stronger than he was. He could hardly imagine living without universal heating or cooling. Being raised in the US had spoiled him.

Jonas inhaled deeply through his nose.

Scotland always seemed to be blanketed by petrichor –the comforting scent of the land after rain. It was indescribably pleasant.

And calm. So very calm.

Jonas decided to take full advantage of his right to wander, making his way towards a nearby river at a leisurely pace. He might as well enjoy his time here to the fullest.

While also, perhaps, snagging some inspiration for his next sculpture at the same time.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Elli beat his wings frantically as the sound of a vengeful Unseelie fae at full gallop thundered after him.

No sooner had he passed through the elf ring when a large, dark, frightening water fae lunged at him –nearly snapping Elli up in its black jaws. Never before had another living being, fae or otherwise, come so close to catching him.

Elli huffed. Mostly from the strain of staying ahead of his pursuer, but partly because he was feeling indignant.

If he were to die, it better be death by lightening.

The kelpie on Elli's tail squealed with feral fury, its voice sounding like a disturbing mix of a horse's whinny and the guttural wail of a banshee. It leaped, its form that of a fanged black horse, and forced Elli to bank dangerously close to the branches of the trees surrounding them. He whimpered as a flight feather snagged on a tree limb, tearing it loose. Pain and fear tangled chaotically in his chest alongside his burning lungs.

Seeing an opening as Elli's wings wavered, the kelpie lunged again, this time taking hold of one of his wings.

Elli screamed.

Sharp teeth pierced straight through Elli's right wing. He heard the sound of his own bones snapping in the beast's jaws as he let loose his desperate cries. Tears of pain spilled from his eyes as blood dripped from his captor's lips. Caught between the creature's fangs, Elli's eyes wandered to the kelpie's muscular neck, dreading that he would soon see it from the inside. As he did so, he noticed a peculiar scar on the kelpie's chest. He blinked, trying to see it clearly through his tears. It was a brand. Mabuka's mark had been seared into the kelpie stallion's flesh.

Ah. So that's who he was.

He had been Mabuka's mount.

The kelpie slowed to a trot as he continued on –likely towards a body of water– Elli struggling desperately to escape the torturous grip of his jaws. He wasn't just trying to kill him, Elli realized, he wanted to savor his death. To take sweet vengeance for his mistress.

Elli's tears of pain became tears of desperation and despair. How foolish of him to have believed that he had the power to make a difference.

Suddenly the pressure in the air shifted. A familiar prickle setting Elli's frizzy hair on end.

A tiny but powerful spark of hope ignited in the tiny fae's chest. He extended his remaining wing and thrust all of his remaining energy into drawing a thundercloud.

The kelpie snorted at the sprite's stupidly pitiful efforts.

The ghost of a shit-eating grin crossed Elli's face. This bastard had no idea what was coming.

A bolt of lightening, bright and powerful, split the sky and struck the back of the kelpie's neck.

The kelpie reared with a horrid squeal of pain. His jaws fell open, dropping Elli.

Elli fluttered his remaining undamaged wing in an attempt to right himself, but only succeeded in flailing in vain as he tumbled headlong into the river below.