4.

"Fear doesn't shut you down, it wakes you up."

Tris leaned on the metal railing looking down at the place where Christina almost fell to her death. The chasm.

"That was real right?" She asked herself, but she didn't know. She couldn't tell what was real or fake. The dreams that haunted her sleep felt like reality, and the world she was in now... Felt very much like a dream. But there was one thing that she knew she could count as real. If she fell from this bridge she would die, and no one would see more than a mere girl paranoid from a reality that never happened. They wouldn't care about her, and Jeanine, Eric, and the other male voice would be relieved to find their fire lost her oxygen.

Speaking of the devil, Jeanine walked into the dim light of the chasm stopping before the bridge, "Thinking about jumping like Al did Tris?"

Tris jerked her head making eye contact with the blonde, "I don't know what to think anymore. What's reality and what's just a fear created by a simulation. I'm scar- Nevermind..." The moment the words left her mouth, Tris knew she made a mistake. Jeanine found her at a vulnerable state... but there wasn't anything she could do about it now, all she could do is to keep on acting like the weak girl she portrayed.

Jeanine placed an amused smile on her face, leaning back against a stone wall, "Don't let Eric hear you say that, or he might do the job of throwing you down the chasm himself." Tris tried to smile,  it ended up looking too strained. Too forced.

She sighed, "I know, but that's how I feel, and you can never hide how you truly feel no matter how hard you try..." 

Jeanine slyly smiled cocking her head to the side, trying her best to choose her words carefully, "Tris I can protect you, just say the word and I'll be there. Even a dauntless needs protecting now and then."

Tris fully turned all the way around and said roughly, "What if I don't want your help?"

Jeanine took her stance and said with equal force, "Beatrice Prior you are already awake, but your fear is preventing  from opening your eyes. Open your eyes Tris, you may not know it now, but someday you will need my help."

***

Read, Vote, & Comment!