Birthday Cake

The familiar ache of hunger sat in my stomach. I hadn't eaten in days. I was too fat. My mum told me that. Every day. She told me first when I was 10. I just wanted that cupcake. I haven't eaten a cupcake since then. Since my 10th birthday. I'm 15

"Dinner!" My dad called up the stairs, his footsteps thumping on the floor boards.

"I'm not hungry." I'm starving.

"Knock, knock, knock," a chuckled appeared outside my door. "Come and eat honey, you need the energy to grow that body of yours." His voice continued, softer this time, "I know it's been hard since she died sweetie but you have to eat. I know you miss her, but she'd want you to be healthy." No she didn't. She wanted me to be thin. It was her dying wish.

"Come here my beautiful girl," she whispered hoarsely, as my feet approached her bed unwillingly. "You better not forget what I've taught you doll," her hand gripped mine, nails digging in, "I'll be watching you, if you even think about ruining your figure by gaining even the slightest bit of weight, you will die lonely, you'll just be an ugly helpless girl. You understand darling?" Her silver eyes bore into mine. The only piece of her I have.

"Of course mother, I'll never forget."

Oh how I wish I could. It's the last thing she ever said to me. My dad's voice gets lost in the ringing echoing in my ears. The pain in my stomach growing. I was fat. I was ugly. I'd forever be alone. No one wanted a fat useless girl. I was weak. I was fat. I was useless. There was no point fighting it anymore. I wasn't needed. I was ugly and fat. My mother knew that. She made sure I knew that.

Lying down on my bed, my eyes fluttered shut, the ringing fading out. I could sleep now.

Dad POV

I don't know what my wife said to her that day, but it ruined her. It destroyed her.

I'll never forget the day she died, how skinny she looked.

Her birthday cake untouched by her side.