Chapter VII-All Hallows Eve

After finally convincing the Slytherins to do a costume party, Dawn had begun to mentally prepare hers. She wanted quite sure what she wanted to go as yet, but she was hoping she could get a few things in Hogsmead.
    She entered to the entrance hall, where Filch, the caretaker, was standing inside the front doors, checking off names against a long list, peering suspiciously into every face, and making sure that no one was sneaking out who shouldn't be going.
"Staying here, Potter?" shouted Malfoy, who was standing in line with Crabbe and Goyle. "Scared of passing the dementors?"
Harry ignored him and made his solitary way up the marble staircase, "Leave him alone Malfoy. You were screaming the other day in class when the Red Caps escaped, so I'm sure if Black was hunting you down you wouldn't be so brave about it." Dawn shouted at him. Harry didn't even turn to look their way and continued up the steps. She thought she'd bring him back something from her trip.
    Exiting the castle, the cool autumn air nipped at Dawn's skin and she breathed in the fresh air. The leaves were dancing in the wind as the wind swept them off of the trees and they made a satisfying crunch as she stepped on them. In her walk over the bridge to Hogsmead Dawn was day dreaming about her Halloween costume. She thought of black cats, dancing devils, and ghostly apparitions.
    She stopped by Honey Dukes to stalk up on some sweets, especially lemon drops and sour quills as those were her favorite. Next she browsed the bookshop and, upon the top shelf, was the book Malfoy had stolen from her at Diagon Ally. She stood on her tiptoes and reached with all of her might but was only inches away from her prize. Suddenly, a pale hand grabbed the book and she felt warmth along her back. "Let me help you..." Drawled a raspy voice that Dawn immediately recognized.
    Malfoy stepped back and trailed his eyes down Dawn's body. There was a look in his silver eyes that she had a hard time placing. "Are you actually helping me or just here to tease me?" Dawn asked suspicious of Malfoy's sudden change of heart.
    Malfoy rolled his eyes, "Okay, you got me. My help comes with a catch." He drawled.
    "And what's that?" Dawn scrunched her eyebrows together.
    "Accompany me to the Three Broomsticks and have a Butterbeer with me." He said and Dawn narrowed her eyes.
    "What happened to never being seen with someone like me?" She spat.
    "You intrigue me..." Malfoy shuffled uncomfortably as he ran a hand through his slicked back hair.
    "Are you asking me on a date?" Dawn asked puzzled.
    "No!" Malfoy exclaimed, "I-uh-I just want to get to know you better. We could become good friends." He finished quietly.
    "Okay then." Dawn sighed.

☀️

    Dawn paid for items before following Malfoy to the Three Broomsticks. Once inside Dawn took a seat at a far back booth whilst Malfoy ordered their drinks. Soon he emerged with two glasses in hand and took the seat across from Dawn. "How are you liking Hogwarts so far?" Malfoy asked seeming uncomfortable once more.
    "It's okay. My family hasn't talked to me since I got sorted into Slytherin and I haven't really got any friends. Your girlfriend likes to make my life a living hell quiet often." She answered, taking a sip of her drink.
    "I don't have a girlfriend." Malfoy snapped coldly.
    This made Dawn even more curious, "Parkinson isn't your girlfriend? She's always attached to you and the way she talks about you so I just assumed..." Dawn began puzzled.
    Malfoy broke out in a scowl and laughed coldly, "Pansy thinks we'll be married someday, but I'd rather eat my own foot before I'd marry her." He scoffed. "Besides, she's not my type." He rolled his silver eyes, light glistening off of them.
    "What is your type then?" Dawn asked leaning over the table to hear Malfoy better.
    "I like blondes to start, and secondly I need a partner that's going to be able to keep up in intellectual conversation with me and Pansy can't do that." Malfoy answered as he leaned in as well as to not be heard by the other pup patrons.
    "Interesting," Dawn laughed, "I've got to be going now though. I have to find a costume for the Halloween party tonight." She said downing the last of her Butterbeer.
    "I'll see you at the party tonight, yeah?" Malfoy asked, almost with a hint of desperation.
    "Sure." Dawn shrugged before grabbing her bags and making her way out of the pup.
    An hour later Dawn was still searching the racks of dresses at one of the clothing shops trying to find something to wear for the party when a baby blue mini dress caught her attention. She knew exactly what she'd be for Halloween!

☀️

    Dawn returned to the Entrance hall and crossed into the Great Hall. It had been decorated with hundreds and hundreds of candle-filled pumpkins, a cloud of fluttering live bats, and many flaming orange streamers, which were swimming lazily across the stormy ceiling like brilliant watersnakes.
    The food was delicious; even Dawn, who was full to bursting with Honeydukes sweets, managed second helpings of everything. Dawn kept glancing at the staff table. Professor Lupin looked cheerful and as well as he ever did; he was talking animatedly to tiny little Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher. Dawn moved her eyes along the table, to the place where Snape sat. Was she imagining it, or were Snape's eyes flickering toward Lupin more often than was natural?
    The feast finished with an entertainment provided by the Hogwarts ghosts. They popped out of the walls and tables to do a bit of formation gliding; Nearly Headless Nick, the Gryffindor ghost, had a great success with a reenactment of his own botched beheading.
It had been such a pleasant evening that Dawn's good mood couldn't even be spoiled by Malfoy, who shouted through the crowd as they all left the hall, "The dementors send their love, Potter!"