Chapter IX-Through the Mist

Dawn awoke before sunrise and checked her watch. 4:55AM it read. After tossing and turning for another twenty minutes she finally sighed and got out of bed. She fed Ophillia and Juliet before heading to the bathroom to brush her hair and teeth and apply her makeup. She decided on a dark smoky eye and black lipstick to match. She didn't have classes today so rummaged through her trunk for something to wear.
    Dawn settled on a black dress with her leather jacket, fishnet stocking, and knee hight black boots. She quickly got dressed and quietly called for Ophillia for their morning walk. She grabbed her cloak and made her way down the stairs to the common room. She was about to head out the port hole when Ophillia began to wonder off to a couch in the corner of the common room. Curious, Dawn followed her pup to see a pale hand hanging off of the arm of the couch that was facing away from her. She quietly maneuvered around it to see a sleeping boy with pale skin, and white hair that, normally, was slicked back, but now was a disheveled mess.
    Malfoy was snoring quietly and he had bags under his closed eyes. Dawn felt sorry for him, especially after last night. Dawn noticed the boy shivering ever just so slightly. She pulled off her cloak and draped it over the sleeping boy. "Stupid Malfoy." She sighed before leaving the common room.
    Dawn found it hard to ignore the sounds of the thunder rumbling overhead, the pounding of the wind against the castle walls, and the distant creaking of the trees in the Forbidden Forest. Ophillia looked scared and so she picked up her pup and brought her out to the courtyard and conjuring an umbrella. They began their walk down to the black lake that's black surface was now rippling with every drop from the dark and stormy sky.
Returning to the common room drenched an hour later Malfoy was sitting in an arm chair by the fire and rolled his still red eyes. "Go for a morning swim?" He asked looking at the drenched girl.
"Sleep alright on the couch Malfoy?" Dawn shot back with a raised eyebrow.
"How did you know I slept on the couch?" He asked dumbfounded.
"And whose cloak did you think you were kept warm with?" Dawn snapped using her wand to dry her clothes and hair.
Malfoy looked at her socked, then down at the cloak he'd draped over the arm of the chair. "I didn't ask for your help." He snarled as he tossed the cloak onto the floor.
"Take a look in the mirror and then rethink that statement." Dawn hissed before retreating back to her dorm.
Most of the girls were just waking up as she entered, "Look, it's the weasel." Pansy laughed.
"At least I'm not so far up Malfoy's ass I could floss his teeth." Dawn snapped back before throwing herself on her bed.
"Stupid bitch!" Pansy snarled.
"Dumb slut." Dawn snorted back.
"Let's be friends." Pansy said before sitting on the edge of Dawn's bed.
"What?" Dawn spluttered in disbelief.
"I like you Weasel. We could be great friends." She said extending a well manicured hand to Dawn.
"Leave my family alone and you have a deal." Dawn shrugged taking Pansy's hand and shaking it.

☀️

When it was time for the Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff match it was still storming hard. The rain pelted the castle's walls and windows and the wind blew in chilling gust. Dawn exited the front doors and made her way down to the quidditch pitch. Her umbrella was nearly ripped from her hands as the wind blew every so often and she was already soaked again. She'd never gotten her cloak from Malfoy and now just had her leather jacket to keep her warm through the match.
    Dawn saw Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, laughing and pointing at Harry from under an enormous umbrella on their way to the stadium. A hit of satisfaction overcame her as she noticed Malfoy's eyes were still red. She supposed he had forgotten and didn't take her advice seriously this morning. She knew he'd eventually come crawling back for her to undo the spell.
The wind was so strong that they staggered sideways as they walked out onto the the stands. If the crowd was cheering, they couldn't hear it over
the fresh rolls of thunder. How on earth was he going to see the Snitch in this? Dawn thought.
The Hufflepuffs were approaching from the opposite side of the field,
wearing canary-yellow robes. The Captains walked up to each other and
shook hands; Diggory smiled at Wood but Wood now looked as though he had lockjaw and merely nodded. Dawn saw Madam Hooch's mouth form the words, "Mount Your brooms." Madam Hooch put her whistle to her lips and gave it a blast that sounded shrill and distant
they were off. She couldn't hear the commentary over the wind. The crowd was hidden beneath a sea of cloaks and battered umbrellas. There was another clap of thunder, followed immediately by forked lightning. This was getting more and more dangerous.
Harry needed to get the Snitch quickly. Harry's numb hands slipped on the broom handle and his Nimbus dropped a few feet. With a jolt of panic, Dawn watched Harry throw himself flat to the broornhandle and zoomed toward the Snitch. But something odd was happening.
An eerie silence was falling across the stadium. The wind, though as strong as ever, was forgetting to roar. It was as though someone had turned off the sound, as though Dawn had gone suddenly deaf. What was going on? And then a horribly familiar wave of cold swept over her, inside her, just as she became aware of something moving on the field below... At least a hundred dementors, their hidden faces pointing up at Harry, were standing beneath him. It was as though freezing water were rising in her chest, cutting at her insides. And then she heard it again.... Someone was screaming, screaming inside her head... a woman...a man...
She was falling, falling through the icy mist...