Chapter X-Ring

"Dawn! Dawn!" Her mother screamed. It was dark and the smoke was choking as her lungs struggled to breathe. The fire licked at her skin as she crawled through the burning house. The roof began to fall in, "Dawn!" Her mother screamed again. Looking up she saw her mother burned beyond recognition as she laid on the floor. Suddenly, a beam fell from the ceiling and crushed her.
"Mum!" Dawn screamed as she scrambled to get up. The light was bright and she could still hear her mother's screams echoing.
"You're okay!" A familiar voice yelled. Dawn, eyes still adjusting, looked over to see Harry in a hospital bed with Ron and Hermione sat on the edge of his bed.
"What happened?" She croaked. Her throat was dry and she really wanted some water. Her lungs hurt as if she'd just left the fire again.
"You fainted when the dementors showed up." Ron said cautiously.
"How did I get here?" Dawn asked as she realized she had a knot on her head.
"Malfoy...he carried you up here." Hermione answered as she fiddled with her hands, "He was worried about you. I didn't think he could even care about anybody else. Also he's angry that you haven't fixed his eyes yet." She finished.
"Oh..." Dawn trailed off wondering if Ron and Harry would be mad at her.
"It's nice to see Malfoy have a conscience for once..." Harry murmured, leaving the other two to nod silently.
The trio filled Dawn in on what had happened after she passed out, but Harry seemed to be holding something back.

☀️

Madam Pomfrey insisted on keeping Harry and Dawn in the hospital wing for the rest of the weekend. She didn't argue or complain, but Harry wouldn't let Madam Pomfrey throw away the shattered remnants of his Nimbus Two Thousand.
He had a stream of visitors, all intent on cheering him up. Hagrid sent him a bunch of earwiggy flowers that looked like yellow cabbages, and Ginny Weasley, blushing furiously, turned up with a get-well card she had made herself, which sang shrilly unless Harry kept it shut under his bowl of fruit. The Gryffindor team visited again on Sunday morning, this time accompanied by Wood, who told Harry, in a hollow, dead sort of voice, that he didn't blame
him in the slightest. Ron and Hermione left Harry's bedside only at night- But nobody came for Dawn.
Sure, Ron and Hermione said they're hellos and goodbyes in passing but seeing as Dawn's bed was across the room from Harry's they didn't talk to her much. She felt so alone in that hospital bed...
Later that night Dawn could hear Harry's soft snores through her closed curtains and the drizzle of rain on the windows. "Psst," called a familiar voice, "Dawn?" It asked right outside curtains around her bed.
"Malfoy..." she whispered and then in he walked, "What are you doing here? You're going to get into trouble!" Dawn hissed quietly at the boy.
"I wanted to make sure you were alright..." He trailed off.
"Why didn't you visit me this morning during visiting hours?" She asked confused as her eyebrows scrunched together.
"Well, Saint Potter and Weasle-Weasley and Granger were always around. I thought you'd get mad at me for starting a fight with them." He whispered whilst rolling his eyes. As he rolled them they caught the moonlight and seemed to almost shimmer.
"I see you managed to change your eyes back." Dawn murmured slightly impressed.
"It took a lot of research but I figured it out." He drawled.
"Thank you." Dawn almost whimpered.
"For what?" Malfoy quickly asked, now scrunching his eyebrows.
"Harry, Ron, and Hermione told me you carried me to the hospital wing. Thank you..." Dawn was now fidgeting with her hands.
"Always..." Malfoy breathlessly sighed.
Suddenly, a lantern was lit and footsteps were approaching. "Under the bed Draco!" Dawn hissed quietly.
Draco did as he was told and hid under the bed as Dawn shimmied her blanket over the side of the hed that the footsteps were coming from. Quickly she pretended to be asleep just as the footsteps stopped outside the curtain around her bed. Effortlessly it was slid open enough for Madam Pomfrey to pop her head in to check the voices she swore she'd just heard. Dawn lay, slightly snoring, in her bed. Madam Pomfrey closed the curtain before retreating back to her sleeping quarters.
Malfoy crawled out from under the bed as Dawn sat up, "You should go now..." She signed in relief.
"One last thing, here." He said handing a small box to Dawn before slipping away before she could ask any questions.
In the box Dawn found a ring that was shaped like Hogwarts. It was silver and heavy but fit her finger well. She loved it, but wondered why Malfoy had given it to her of all people.