Chapter 2

The rest of the day passes in a blur. Jungkook can't get Taehyung's words out of his head. He finds himself staring at the door of the classroom where Taehyung had just left, lost in thought. What does it mean to be who you are? Is that what Taehyung was trying to say? He thinks about his own life, the expectations he's always felt from others, the persona he's built around himself. Maybe Taehyung is onto something.

He walked out of the school building and was heading to his bike when he saw Taehyung leaning against the railing, pacing around in boredom.  Jungkook's steps slowed down, his heart thudding against his chest. He had never talked to Taehyung outside of school, let alone approached him like this. But something propelled him forward, something he couldn't quite put his finger on.

"Hey," Jungkook said, his voice low and a bit shaky. Taehyung looked up, his eyes lighting up slightly at the sight of him. "Nice job back there."

"What job?" Taehyung asked, tilting his head to the side. Jungkook felt his cheeks warm up slightly. "In the cafeteria," he clarified, "with Yuri."

Taehyung shrugged. "It's nothing. Just tired of her shit." He sighed. "But thanks," he added, a small smile playing on his lips.

Jungkook found himself moving closer, his eyes searching Taehyung's. "You know, you don't have to deal with that alone." The words slipped out before he could stop them. Taehyung's gaze met his, and for a moment, the world around them seemed to pause.

Taehyung stepped back a little noticing the small distance between them. "What do you mean?" He asked, trying to keep his voice steady. Jungkook took a deep breath, his mind racing.

"I mean, if she bothers you again, I'll... I'll stand up for you," Jungkook said, his voice firm. Taehyung's eyes searched Jungkook's for any signs of insincerity, but all he found was genuine concern. It was a stark contrast to the cold, aloof persona Jungkook usually projected.

"Listen, I'm not trying to be rude but... why exactly should I want you to stand for me? You're Jungkook, the school's basketball star, the 'Ice Prince' everyone whispers about," Taehyung replied, his voice laced with a hint of skepticism. Jungkook could see the doubt in his eyes, the walls he had built up around himself.

"And I'm pretty much sure I can stand up for myself, thank you," Taehyung said, his voice still cool and collected, yet a hint of warmth seeping through the cracks of his tough exterior. Jungkook felt a pang of disappointment, but he knew that he couldn't just barge into Taehyung's life and expect to be welcomed with open arms.

"I should get going now. Have a nice evening." Taehyung smiled, slightly pushing Jungkook out of the way and Taehyung might not have felt it but Jungkook felt sparks when Taehyung touched his shoulder gently. He watched as Taehyung started walking away, his legs moving with the same confidence that had captured Jungkook's attention the first day he saw him.

Jungkook called out, "Wait." He wasn't ready for the conversation to end just yet. Taehyung stopped and turned around, one eyebrow raised in question. Jungkook's heart was pounding in his chest as he tried to find the right words. "I just... I just wanted to say that, you know, I respect you. For being true to yourself."

Taehyung studied him for a moment, his expression unreadable. Then, he let out a small laugh. "Thanks, I guess." He started to turn away again, but Jungkook's hand shot out and grabbed his wrist, pulling him back slightly. "Don't go," Jungkook said, his voice softer now, almost pleading. "I don't... I don't know how to explain it, but I feel like I need to talk to you."

Taehyung smiled softly. "I'm glad you want to talk to me but I really need to go right now. Give me your phone number, and we can chat later," he suggested, pulling out his phone. Jungkook nodded, his thumbs moving quickly as he typed his number. He handed the phone back to Taehyung, feeling a sense of relief wash over him.

"See you tomorrow, Jungkook," Taehyung said, slipping his phone back into his pocket. Jungkook nodded, his hand dropping to his side. He watched as Taehyung disappeared around the corner, his heart racing with a mix of excitement and nerves. He had never felt this way about anyone before, especially not someone who seemed so untouchable.

How you guys doing?

-lxnnie