Chapter 10

As the final bell rang, signaling the end of the school day, Jungkook packed his things slowly, lost in thought. Taehyung hovered nearby, as if sensing Jungkook's internal battle. "You sure you wanna go?" he asked, genuine concern etched on his features. Jungkook nodded, his resolve hardening. "I've gotta do this, Tae," he said, his voice firm.

They walked home together, the conversation lighter than the topic that lingered between them. Taehyung talked about his latest design idea, trying to distract Jungkook from his nerves about the party. Jungkook listened, smiling at the passion in Taehyung's voice, his mind still racing with the implications of what had transpired. As they approached the crossroads where their paths split, Taehyung stopped and faced Jungkook.

"Are you going to the party too?" Jungkook asked, hoping Taehyung would say yes.

"Nope," Taehyung replied, his smile fading. "I want nothing to with, Yuri, but if you get bored at the party, my house will welcome you. My parents are going on a business trip so if you want, you can sleep over." Jungkook felt a pang of disappointment, but he knew Taehyung's absence would give him space to think.

He agreed, and they parted ways, leaving Jungkook to face the evening alone. He took a shower, trying to wash away his anxiety, and dressed in his favorite black hoodie and ripped jeans. As he was leaving, his aunt, Sidney, noticed the tension in his shoulders and the way he kept glancing at the clock. She knew something was up, but she didn't pry.

"Going to another party?" Sydney teased, her eyes twinkling with a knowing smile. Jungkook nodded, avoiding her gaze. He felt guilty for keeping his feelings about Taehyung a secret from her, but he wasn't ready to unravel that tangled mess of emotions yet.

"Just be safe, Jungkook-ah," she said, her voice filled with genuine concern. He promised he would and left the apartment, the night air cool against his flushed cheeks.

.·:*¨¨* ≈☆≈ *¨¨*:·.

The party was in full swing when Jungkook arrived. The loud music and flashing lights outside the house told him all he needed to know. He took a deep breath before pushing through the crowd, the smell of alcohol and sweat immediately assaulting his nose. His heart raced as he scanned the room, searching for a familiar face amidst the sea of unfriendly glances and sneers.

He saw two of Taehyung's friends, Hoseok and Jimin, in the corner, surrounded by a group of people. They spotted him and waved him over, their eyes wide with surprise. "You came!" Hoseok shouted over the music, handing Jungkook a cup of punch. Jungkook nodded, trying to hide his unease. The party was everything he didn't enjoy: crowded, loud, and full of judgmental stares.

But he had a mission, and he wasn't going to let the oppressive atmosphere deter him. He scanned the room again, looking for Yuri, and spotted her by the makeshift dance floor, surrounded by cheerleaders and jocks, all laughing and sipping from red cups. She looked like the queen of the school, and Jungkook felt a strange mix of attraction and repulsion. He knew he had to talk to her, to show everyone that he didn't care about her opinions or the whispers that would surely follow.

He took a sip of the punch, the sweetness surprising him, and made his way over to her. The music vibrated through his chest as he approached, the bass line echoing his racing heart. She saw him coming and her smile grew, clearly expecting him to falter. But Jungkook felt something else, something stronger than fear. Determination.

"That little bitch didn't come? Oh how boring, he's missing out on the fun. He's probably in bed, wearing girls PJ's watching some boring old barbie movie," Yuri said loudly, her words slurred from the drink in her hand. Jungkook felt a jolt of anger at her words, but he forced himself to smile.