Part 5

10

As soon as I unlocked the door to Lin Zi Yu's place, I was hit by the overwhelming smell of liquor that filled the entire room.

The scent made me uneasy, instantly reminding me of Fu Ran from the previous night.

"You're here."

Lin Zi Yu gulped down a mouthful of beer, slumped on the carpet, with the couple's watches we had picked out together lying on the coffee table.

"Why did you drink so much?"

I sat down beside him, casually opened a bottle of beer, took a sip, and frowned.

Not as good as my wine.

"He doesn't want me anymore. We broke up."

Lin Zi Yu's eyes were bloodshot, and he looked like a broken man on the verge of tears.

I patted his shoulder and quietly kept him company as we drank half the night away.

In the end, he got drunk, his face flushed red, and his speech slurred as he turned to stare at me intently.

There was a hint of regret in his voice: "Jiu An, if only you had been the one to confess to me back then, how great would that have been."

I didn't respond.

Lin Zi Yu, his boyfriend Xu Ning, and I had all been high school classmates. The three of us were close, but my bond with Lin Zi Yu was stronger since we had grown up together.

Both Xu Ning and I liked Lin Zi Yu.

During our senior year, I wrote Lin Zi Yu a letter, but in my nervousness, I forgot to sign it.

This idiot thought it was from Xu Ning, and... Xu Ning never corrected him.

I took another sip of beer and, half-jokingly, said, "How do you know I didn't confess?"

Lin Zi Yu froze, as if he hadn't heard me properly: "Jiu An?"

The back of my neck started to burn from the liquor, a blush spreading across my face.

I reached out, grabbed Lin Zi Yu's tie, and leaned in close, saying, "Want to give it a try?"

Our lips drew nearer, the tension rising, but he seemed too shocked to pull away.

Suddenly, Fu Ran's face flashed in my mind.

I stared at Lin Zi Yu's lips, but stopped.

I knew that if I kissed him, with Fu Ran's personality, it would be the end of us.

The sweet scent of strawberries filled the room, mingling with the increasingly prominent fresh scent of oranges.

I chuckled softly and made up my mind.

I pinched Lin Zi Yu's cheek and teased, "With such a gentle scent for an Alpha, it's no wonder you cried after a breakup."

As I began to pull away, Lin Zi Yu frowned and flipped me onto my back, pinning me beneath him.

"What's this? Are you mad?"

His eyes were tinged with red, his voice slightly hoarse.

He looked down at me, his tone serious as he said: "Jiu An, let's really be together!"

"Huh?"

My eyes widened, but before I could react, Lin Zi Yu's lips came crashing down.

Just as he was about to kiss me, the door was kicked open with a loud bang.

11

Lin Zi Yu and I both turned toward the door just in time to see Fu Ran storming in, his face twisted with anger, followed by his secretary and a locksmith.

The moment Fu Ran stepped inside and saw the two of us entangled on the floor, a blaze ignited in his eyes.

He grabbed my wrist and yanked me out from under Lin Zi Yu.

As our eyes met, the tension around him was so intense that it felt like it was about to snap.

"Luo Jiu An, are you cheating on me behind my back?"

I was initially a bit stunned, but his accusation made me frown.

"Fu Ran, if I'm not mistaken, our relationship is just friends with benefits."

His lips tightened, and a chilling aura surrounded him.

Lin Zi Yu, shocked by the sudden confrontation, sobered up quickly.

"Jiu An, you two..."

Seeing the confusion in his clear eyes, I quickly grabbed Fu Ran's wrist and pulled him toward the door.

"You should get some rest. I'll explain everything to you tomorrow."