Getting Along

2036

A low whine sounded from the now occupied room across from Jade's, bringing her out of her thoughts again. Her one night to herself in what felt like weeks and she hadn't even been able to enjoy it. At this point she was hating her sensitive heightened senses. She glanced at the door which was open a crack and sighed. Why, why was she the one to have to accommodate the mutt? She rolled her eyes and got up, feeling the sun's rays beginning to touch the sky. She only had a few hours left before it was time for her to sleep. Another whine reminded her of the new addition to her house again. What was going on with her now? Jade left her room and walked across the hall to enter Tori's room. She was still asleep, curled up on her side, twisted in the sheets, her body twitching and a heavy frown on her face. Jade tilted her head to the side curiously, wondering what she was dreaming about. For the past year that Tori had been working towards being integrated into their little community Jade had witnessed her apparent nightmare problem that occurred almost every other day. She had teased her about it at first, hinting that she knew that she had them, but whether Tori was denying it because she didn't want the vampire to know or because she simply didn't want to remember was something Jade was still unsure of. She just considered Tori lucky that she didn't see her as much as a nuisance as she had before, because if she had, she would have been pissed for the ruined night. She stopped to stand by the bed and reached out, pushing at the hybrid's shoulder.

"Wake up you annoying dog," she said snidely. Instead of another whine, Tori growled, swiping at Jade's hand. Her wild attack barely nicked her forearm.

"Vega!" Jade snarled right back, shoving at her with more force. Tori jumped awake, her sharp nails tearing into the mattress and sheets around her. Her eyes were wild and glowing. Her breathing was erratic. It took her a moment to focus and then she looked up at Jade standing there with crossed arms.

"Jade? What...what happened?" Tori mumbled, dazed.

"You were dreaming," Jade told her, a slim brow arched.

"I was? Oh..." Tori replied, dragging a hand through her messy brown hair to push it all out of her face. It was then when she noticed that her claws were out and then looked down to the mess she made of her bed.

"You know, it's not like we have many supplies as it is," Jade pointed out.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to. It was just, that dream felt so real," Tori groaned, falling on her back, spread out and eyes closed. Jade was not one to care if the hybrid was upset. Hell, she loved fucking with her patience too much to care, but the look of frustration on Tori's face was different. It looked defeated and hopeless, and if Jade knew one thing, it was that those feelings were not something to have in any way in these trying times. So, she sat down heavily on the bed, upsetting Tori with the movement who opened her eyes to glare at Jade.

"Not that I care, but I've noticed you've been having some trouble sleeping. And don't bother trying to deny it. I'm the one who has to hear your insufferable whining almost every night," she began, speeding up to silence Tori when she opened her mouth to talk back.

"So did you remember this latest one or what?" Jade continued, putting up an impatient front. Tori wanted to believe she actually cared but knew that couldn't be the case so she tried to think back to the dream she had.

"I think they're about the tests. You know, the ones that made me...like this," she replied, looking down at her hands which were normal again. The slender digits picked at the frayed mess of sheets.

"Uh huh, I figured as much," Jade said with a nod.

"How so?" Tori asked, looking over at her.

"Who would get over a traumatizing event like that so fast? I know I haven't, and I'm not going to pretend I have either. The difference is that I face mine whenever I get time to myself, including when I sleep. At least yours only bother you when you sleep, and even then, you may not fully remember," Jade replied, shrugging like it wasn't a big deal, just a fact. Tori naturally became concerned but remembered who this was, her personal bully and hard as stone trainer, and schooled her features.