Hasty Decisions

The night arrived to wake Jade up like clockwork. She shifted around, trying to move, but she was trapped in what felt like a cocoon of hot blankets with the addition of a heater. She opened her eyes to see the battle worn hybrid holding her close. Her toned, strong, arms were firmly wrapped around her. Even her legs were tangled with Jade's, cold feet and all. She obviously wasn't bothered by it. With a little bit of maneuvering she managed to slip out of Tori's hold on her. The hybrid murmured nonsense and rolled over but otherwise stayed asleep. Jade got up out of bed and glanced back at Tori's subconscious bothered expression. A month of wordlessly sharing each other's bed when they slept was starting to become a comfort Jade didn't think she could ever give up.

She smiled at the endearing pout on Tori's face, clearly missing Jade next to her, and then left the room for a shower. She desperately needed one for its purpose as well as a quiet place to think. By the time she got out and was dressed she found Tori still asleep. Jade thought back to the night she blacked out from hunger. She had hurt Tori. She felt guilty as always when she lost control, but more so this time. She knew why but she didn't want to think about it so she shoved it aside. She ran a hand through her damp tresses while she walked out to the living room. She needed some time removed from Tori. When she walked in the room she stopped to stare at Beck who was sitting on the couch, his posture relaxed. He had essentially made himself at home.

"What are you doing here?" she asked him, making no move to get any closer. She kind of hadn't forgiven him for the kiss and his asshole behavior concerning tossing Tori to the scientists. She understood the benefits but couldn't bring herself to agree with the decision. Then Beck's kiss reminded her of the one she shared with Tori. It was everything Beck's wasn't. She was brought out of her thoughts when he finally answered.

"I thought I should check up on you," he replied, standing to walk over to her. She subconsciously tensed when he approached. He stopped to stand in front of her.

"So you just invade my house without permission?" she inquired tersely. He shrugged.

"I was worried about you. Tori sent us away so fast that night and you still looked ill. We've all been busy since then and I didn't get a chance to talk to you so I just wanted to make sure you were ok," he explained. She sighed.

"Thanks," she mumbled, having nothing more to say.

"I was the one to make sure you had the night off after all that, you know, so you could recover," he mentioned, taking a step closer. She was aware of his advance but remained where she was.

"Sure, because wouldn't it be so unfortunate if I lost it and killed someone. I'm sure your father would have a field day gunning me down," she sneered. She didn't want to be reminded of that night, which made her more moody than usual.

"Jade, that's not what I meant..." he started to say in that way she disliked so she growled to silence him.

"Stop with the patronizing tone. I hate that," she hissed.

"I'm not patronizing you. I look up to you, Jade. I wasn't kidding about what I said. Can't you see that? We've been through so much together. Hell, I may even lo-" he said while stepping closer with a hand reaching for her face.

"Stop," she snarled, grabbing him by the front of his shirt to slam him against the wall.

"Don't you dare finish that," she threatened, her fangs on display and her furious gaze burrowing into his.

"Why not? Are you too afraid to let anyone in? Is it because you've lost so much that you can't bear to go through it again? Is that it, Jade? Because by your logic we should all be as dead in the heart as you," he spat, his anger turning his words to poison. Her grip tightened on him.