Chapter 5

Charlotte's pov

My alarm clock woke me up sooner than my brain and body would have wanted. I felt a bit tired and sore, finding myself sleeping in the most weird position once again. I really needed to go see a chiropractor at some point... and maybe to a little bit of postural yoga or something. 

I pushed my old lady body out of bed and inside the shower to finish waking myself up. The warm water coming down my back felt good and the nice smell of the tangerine scrub I was using nowadays soothed me. I got out and dried myself, walking around my tiny apartment to gather the things I needed for the day.

My goal was to get there early. Really early. So I got out of my building and walked towards the bus stop. I didn't own a car, there were enough public transportation and taxis in Bangkok for me to spend my money on something like this. But sometimes I envied the people in their luxurious Audi cars, singing their hearts out alone. Earphones would have to be enough for me, I often reasoned with myself, like this morning when I got inside the bus.

I got off the bus 20 minutes later and I rushed to the nearest café to order a latte. I wasn't the type to spend time on breakfast but coffee was mandatory to function. My cup in hand, I arrived first at GI as our part of the building was still quiet and empty. I quickly got to Engfa and Sun's office to check on the M&M's jar. This idea had been in my mind right when I first saw the candies. Though the glass container was not covered with dust, I was sure that none of them had been eaten for the last two days, as I compared their disposition to the few pictures I had taken before.

I was tempted to open the jar and count the M&M's right now but I couldn't risk it. So, I got out of the room with my trustworthy notebook and went from office to office, scribbling down a few notes and drawing some sort of a map of the place. People started to come in, so I stopped looking shady and got back to Engfa's desk where I had left my latte. I turned around to leave and almost bumped into my boss. Thankfully, we both got startled enough to step back, avoiding making a mess.

"Fuck, you scared me." Engfa said, one hand flat on her chest.

"Cursing already?" Sun asked, entering the room.

We both turned to look at him, my hand was still shaking.

"Oh and you're cursing at our new coworker nonetheless..." he said with a hint of sass.

"It's my fault, I didn't hear you coming." I explained, apologizing.

"Don't stress it out, I was just a little startled. I didn't think you would be there already." 

"Thank god you were not rushing in, otherwise I would have ruined your suit." 

"No worries, there's plenty of clothes in this building to get a spare outfit..."

She had just smiled at me. Like a real genuine smile. Maybe Engfa was kinda nice after all... I might have been staring because her face went blank again and she walked past me to sit down at her desk.

Sun smirked and was about to say something when Yoko entered the room with a stack of papers neatly put in a transparent folder.

"Hello, Miss Waraha, Miss Austin, Sun." she said, politely.

We greeted her back and she handed me her folder.

"This is everything you asked. I hope." she added.

"Thank you, Yoko. Hello Snack. You can put yours on Sun's desk if he doesn't mind. I'll get to it in a little while." I said to the other intern that had just reached the room.

"Ok." she replied, giving Sun her own stack of papers.

I looked at her quizzically. This young woman lacked basic skills, like politeness...