two

ultraviolet
bruce wayne 𝘹 fem!oc
© WANDARYEN ──── 2024

"What is this place?"

I spun around slowly to get an ideal look of where I was brought to. The room or lair — was almost the size of the Avengers compound. It was part of an old subway tunnel connected to what seems to be a mansion.

Bats fluttered around above my head and I followed their movements while craning my neck. For a man to be called Batman – he sure was dedicated to the look.

"It's safe. I'm leaving you here for an hour — I'll return when I finish what I'm doing." He was typing something into a nearby computer. "I have someone here to watch over you so don't bother doing anything stupid." He clicked the 'enter' button, moved away from the technology set up, and started walking in the direction in which we came from.

"What if I try to steal something?" I raised my eyebrow while folding my arms tightly across my chest.

He stopped abruptly and barely tilted his gaze over his shoulder. "Then don't steal anything."

That was the last thing he said before disappearing back into the night.

The bats created a song-like sound due to his departure and I was starting to wonder if they had an emotional connection with him.

I exhaled slowly and pulled my hood back before peeling off my mask. The fresh air hitting my skin once more caused me to sigh in relief but the odor to this city — that I would need to get used to.

He was going to be gone for an hour and I was forced to stand around and wait for him to make a possible return. I was almost compelled to start tidying up around his 'so could work space' because the mess was the most I've seen since my college dorm days. Women were unbelievably disgusting — especially in the bathroom, it was like living with men.

I walked closer towards the computer set up, my fingers grazing carefully across the table while my eyes floated towards the wall mount of tvs. Each displayed with a different news station talking about the latest crimes in Gotham City.

I tried to process the entire room. He gave me an hour to work with and possibly that was enough to look through his things and —

I pressed the palm of my hand against my forehead in frustration.

Invasion of privacy.

Something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye and I was forced to spin around and meet whoever was coming down the elevator. He did say somebody else was here to watch over me — I'm clueless on what to expect.

An older man with salt and pepper hair exited the elevator, one hand holding a walking stick while the other professionally carried a tray with refreshments.

Clearly my expectations were low but suddenly I was feeling better to see someone without a mask.

"Hello, I'm Alfred Pennyworth." He placed the tray down on a small table closest to me and offered a glass of water. "You are — ?"

I gratefully accepted the glass of water. "I'm — " I bit down on my lower lip, flickering my eyes around the room to quickly remember my predicament before finally confessing my identity. "My name is Gwen Stacy."

Alfred gestured towards a chair behind me and I took up his second offer by making myself comfortable.

I held the glass of water on my lap and watched as he pulled over his own chair to recline in. He tilted his walking stick against the table and poured himself his own glass of water — adding a single lemon slice.