Before

The show ground are alive, all hands and hooves and splashing water. The sun is swathed in a sea of blue. Nothing but a few harmless clouds threaten the horizon, offer rare relief on my baked back. I stand in a dark show jacket and thick cream breeches, Eclipse beside me. Every inch of her shines from her iron coat to her polished saddle. I draw a deep breath from the dusty air and catch a hint of popcorn.

"You ready?" I ask her. Her ears swivel to catch my words - too fast. She's quivering, hyper sensitive to all the activity around her. Something in her eyes tell me no. I feel a sudden knot of dread in my chest. Perhaps we should call it off, pull out.

I look to the ring in time to see a lathered chestnut launch into the air, legs tucked over an oxer. For a second she hangs, streamlined. Then her outstretched hooves meet the ground, coil against the impact, and pull back into rhythm. Horse and rider canter away, drawing a gentle turn through the dust to face the next obstacle. I look away. Something thick, an insufferable itch, starts in my mind. My thoughts are enveloped by the image of a shiny blue ribbon. Another first place to add to the collection.

Eclipse nudges me,her dark eyes flighty and nervous. It's not a good day for her; she's sore and tired. But hunger draws all caution from my mind, hunger for victory. I know she'll do what I ask of her, regardless of her weariness.

So I pull at her reins and draw us into the ring.

[the end.]