004

Chapter 4: New Beginnings

The morning sun cast long shadows across the camp as the group began their day. Verena had risen early, her routine already in place. Onyx lay by her side, contentedly napping in the shade of her SUV. Verena took a deep breath, savoring the crisp morning air before making her way to the campfire, where the others were gathering for breakfast.

Daryl was already there, sharpening his crossbow. He nodded at Verena as she approached. "Mornin'," he said, his tone gruff but friendly.

"Morning," Verena replied, taking a seat next to him. "How's the crossbow holding up?"

"Better now," Daryl said with a smirk. "Had to fix the string last night."

Their conversation was cut short by the arrival of Shane, who strode into the camp with his usual swagger. Verena eyed him with a wary gaze, having already picked up on his arrogance and his underlying tension with the group.

"Hey, everyone," Shane said, clapping Dale on the back as he joined the group. "Got a plan for the day?"

Dale, who had been discussing the day's plans with T-Dog, looked up. "We're thinking of going into Atlanta for more supplies. We need to be prepared for whatever comes next."

The group murmured in agreement, the idea of a supply run bringing a mix of hope and apprehension. Verena, sitting near Carol and Sophia, glanced at the mother and daughter. Carol was busy making breakfast, while Sophia clung to Verena's side, clearly enjoying her company.

"Is there anything specific you need?" Verena asked Carol, who looked up with a grateful smile.

"Just the usual," Carol said. "It's nice to have a bit of help around here."

Verena nodded, her eyes scanning the camp. She was particularly vigilant around Ed, who was still casting surly glances in her direction. She could tell that Ed was intimidated by her, which suited her just fine. She had no patience for his abusive tendencies and would not hesitate to step in if needed.

As the group began to plan their day, Dale and T-Dog approached Verena. "We were talking about heading into Atlanta," Dale said. "Any thoughts?"

Verena considered this for a moment. "It's a good idea, but we need to be careful. We don't know what we'll encounter out there, and we should make sure everyone is prepared."

"I agree," T-Dog added. "We need to stick together and have a solid plan."

The group continued their discussion, weighing the pros and cons of heading into the city. Meanwhile, Andrea and Amy decided it was time for another lesson in fishing for Verena. They invited her to join them by the stream.

As they walked to the stream, Andrea handed Verena a fishing rod. "Ready to try your hand at this again?" she asked with a smile.

"Absolutely," Verena replied, her mood light. "Just hope I don't scare all the fish away."

Andrea chuckled. "Don't worry, we've got this."

Verena quickly picked up the basics, and the three women shared laughter and playful splashes of water. Sophia joined them, sitting beside Verena and watching intently. The bonding moment was a welcome distraction from the usual tension of their new reality.

Back at the camp, the group had gathered around the fire for lunch. Verena had brought some food from her SUV, and the group eagerly dug in. As they ate, Verena entertained them with stories from her past, adding a touch of humor to the conversation.

"You know," Verena said with a grin, "I once had to use my military training to get a stubborn goat out of a tree. Long story."

The group burst into laughter, the atmosphere around the campfire lightened by her stories and humor. Carol, Sophia, and even Daryl were smiling, the shared moments of laughter providing a much-needed reprieve from their daily struggles.