008

**Chapter 8: Desperate Measures**

The tension in the air was palpable as Glenn stood in front of the group, his brow furrowed in thought. They were trapped in the department store, surrounded by walkers, and their only hope of escape seemed to be a risky plan involving the sewers.

"Look," Glenn began, his voice steady but laced with frustration, "until now I always came here by myself... In and out, grab a few things... No problem. The first time I bring a group... Everything goes to hell. No offense. If you want me to go down this gnarly hole, fine... But only if we do it my way."

Rick nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. Verena, standing beside Andrea, kept her gaze on Glenn, evaluating the plan he was about to lay out.

"It's tight down there," Glenn continued. "If I run into something and have to get out quick, I don't want you all jammed up behind me getting me killed. I'll take one person..."

Rick stepped forward, volunteering himself, but Glenn quickly shook his head. "Not you either. You've got Merle's gun and I've seen you shoot. I'd feel better if you were out in that store watching those doors, covering our ass. And you've got the only other gun, so you should go with him," he said, pointing to Morales.

Morales nodded in agreement. "You be my wingman," Glenn said, then turned to Jacqui. "Jacqui stays here. Something happens, yell down to us, get us back up here in a hurry."

"Okay," Jacqui replied, her voice betraying the anxiety she felt.

"Okay, everybody knows their jobs," Rick confirmed.

Verena's eyes shifted to Andrea, who had been silent since the group's tense arrival at the department store. Andrea hesitated, then spoke up, her voice soft but firm, "Sorry for the gun in your face."

Rick, always the diplomat, nodded. "People do things when they're afraid."

Andrea met his gaze, still feeling the weight of her actions. "Not that it was entirely unjustified. You did get us into this."

Rick gave a slight smile. "If I get us out, would that make up for it?"

"No, but it'd be a start," Andrea replied, a small grin forming on her lips.

"Next time though," Rick added, glancing at her gun, "take the safety off. It won't shoot otherwise."

Andrea looked down, embarrassed. "Oh."

Verena, who had been watching the exchange closely, felt a protective instinct flare up inside her. She had promised Amy she would look out for Andrea, and she intended to keep that promise. Moving closer to Andrea, Verena placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry about it. We're all just trying to survive."

Andrea nodded, grateful for the support. The group then moved to the rooftop, where they watched anxiously as Rick and Glenn, now covered in walker guts, made their way through the horde.

"They're leaving us," Andrea whispered, fear creeping into her voice as she watched Rick and Glenn shamble toward the truck.

Morales echoed her concern, "Where are they going? Where are they going?"

"No, no, come back," Andrea muttered, her eyes wide with worry.

From behind, Merle Dixon, still handcuffed to the pipe, tried to get their attention. "What? What?"

Rick and Glenn, now in the truck, began devising a plan. Glenn was visibly shaken, his hands trembling as he gripped the steering wheel. "Oh my God. Oh my God. They're all over that place."

Rick, always focused, instructed him calmly. "You need to draw them away. Those roll-up doors at the front of the store... That area? That's what I need cleared. Raise your friends. Tell them to get down there and be ready."

Glenn's voice wavered. "And I'm drawing the geeks away how? I... I missed that part."

"Noise," Rick replied simply.

Back on the roof, Merle's pleas grew more desperate as the group began their descent. "Hey, that's my gun. You can't leave me. Don't leave me here, you guys," he begged.

Verena shot a glance at Merle, her disdain clear. But as Morales and the others moved, she turned her attention back to Andrea, who seemed paralyzed with fear. "Morales, come on!" Andrea urged, her voice trembling.

"I'm coming!" Morales replied, as he moved to follow the group.

Merle's voice grew frantic. "Morales! You can't leave me like this, man! Hey, T-Dog. No, man. You can't leave me, man. You can't leave me here... Not like this. You can't, man. It's not human. Come on, don't do this."

T-Dog hesitated, guilt gnawing at him, but the urgency of the situation left him with no choice. The group moved quickly, descending the stairs and making their way back to the store. Verena stayed close to Andrea, ready to protect her at a moment's notice.

As the group reached the ground floor, they prepared to make their escape. Verena kept a sharp eye on Andrea, determined to ensure her safety. Rick and Glenn finally pulled up to the cargo doors in the box truck, their faces grim but resolute.

Verena was the first to jump out, helping the others into the truck. When it was Andrea's turn, Verena grabbed her hand, pulling her up with a firm but gentle grip. "Come on, Andrea, we're almost out of here," she urged, her voice filled with determination.

Andrea hesitated for a moment, looking back at the chaos behind them. But Verena's grip was strong, and she found herself being pulled into the truck. As the doors slammed shut and the truck roared to life, Verena kept her arm around Andrea's shoulders, silently reassuring her that she wasn't alone.

The group sped away from the store, the sounds of walkers and chaos fading behind them. As they drove, Verena couldn't shake the feeling of relief that washed over her. She had kept her promise to Amy, and for now, they were all safe.

But as they headed toward the survivors' camp, Verena knew the real challenges were only just beginning.