After School

The afternoon sun was beginning to dip, casting long shadows across the nearly empty School. Most students had left for the day, and the halls were silent. In a quiet corner of the building, Karan was seated on the floor of an empty classroom, meticulously working on homework given by his science teacher, Preeta. His focus was unwavering, his dedication palpable.

A soft click of heels echoed down the corridor, and soon, Preeta entered the room. She paused at the doorway, smiling as she observed Karan absorbed in his work. Her presence immediately drew his attention, and when he looked up, his eyes reflected admiration and something deeper, while hers held an unmistakable air of authority.

"Karan, Get up & greet your teacher properly."

Without hesitation, Karan rose to his feet, then knelt down in front of her. He gently touched the tips of her toes with his both hands, then kissed his hands as if receiving a blessing. The gesture was unusual, and something about it piqued Preeta’s interest, though she decided to let it slide for now.

She walked over to the teacher's desk and gracefully sat on its edge, folding her legs to the side. With a subtle gesture, she pointed towards the floor near her feet.

"Sit here, by my feet, and finish your work."

karan, eager to please, moved to sit near her, his shoulder almost brushing her heels as he resumed his work. Preeta, seemingly indifferent, began scrolling through her phone, her left heel dangling loosely from her foot. The heel occasionally tapped Karan’s face, a small distraction he tried to ignore.

Suddenly, the heel slipped off her foot and fell directly onto Karan’s open notebook. He froze for a moment, the accidental contact sending a thrill through him.

"Oh, I’m sorry about that."

Karan, trying to maintain his composure, picked up the heel and was about to place it aside when Preeta casually interjected.

"Actually, Karan, why don’t you put it back on for me?"

There was a brief hesitation, but Karan’s desire to obey and please her overrode any reservations. He gently slipped the heel back onto her foot, his movements deliberate and careful, almost reverent.

With his work completed, Karan remained seated on the floor, waiting. Preeta, sensing his lingering presence, decided to engage him in casual conversation while dangling her heels infront of him.

"You know, I have a thing for shoes. I love collecting different kinds, especially heels. But keeping them spotless is a bit of a chore."

She extended her foot slightly, tilting it so that Karan could see the sole.

"What do you think? Do they look clean to you?"

Karan leaned in to inspect the sole, noticing a faint layer of dust. He looked up at her, unsure how to respond.

"There’s a bit of dust on them, ma'am."

Preeta sighed, her expression turning wistful.

"It’s a shame. I really wish someone could take care of them for me. It would be nice to have someone who understands how important this is to me."

Karan’s heart raced at the opportunity. Mustering his courage, he spoke softly.

"I can help you with that, ma'am. I’d be happy to clean them for you."

Preeta raised an eyebrow, intrigued by his offer.

"Really? And why would you do that, Karan?"

He hesitated for a moment, then replied earnestly.