9 | i've got you

DON'T ACT LIKE YOU WEREN'T ALL ABOUT THAT 'CASH MONEY' TOO.

RIO'S LACES WEREN'T EVEN FULLY TIED AS BOONE DRAGGED HER OUT OF THE MOTEL ROOM

RIO'S LACES WEREN'T EVEN FULLY TIED AS BOONE DRAGGED HER OUT OF THE MOTEL ROOM. Instantly, the strong winds hit them, and they could hear the chaos from the rodeo arena across the street as people screamed and ran, desperate to get away or seek shelter.

"What about Kate and Tyler?" Rio shouted over the wind, spotting the tornado in the distance. She nearly froze but managed to keep going as Boone kept a hand on her lower back.

"They know what to do in this situation. Now come on. Best bet for a basement is the front desk," he told her.

Both of them ran, keeping their heads down to try and not let debris hit them that was flying. When they reached the entrance to the front desk, Rio looked back, seeing cars honking as they tried to drive away. And she didn't know much about tornados, but she knew a car was the last place those people needed to be.

Well, maybe an overpass was worse, but still.

They rushed into the motel, seeing a young guy yelling at the manager about the shit AC in the rooms, all too unaware of what was going on outside. And his girlfriend was leaning against the wall, ignoring the sirens as she fanned herself.

"We need a basement!" Boone exclaimed, his words getting lost as the guy continued to complain.

Then the bell over the door rang again, and Kate and Tyler were running in. Seeing them play was a huge relief to Rio. Tyler was guiding a mother and little girl in as well

"Do you have a storm shelter?" Kate asked him over the yelling man. She again was ignored, shooting an annoyed look at Rio.

"Or like a basement," Tyler said, coming up as well, relieved to see Boone and Rio as well. "You got a basement?"

"No—"

"There's a line here, buddy," the guy said, annoyed with them all.

"We need to all get underground right now," Rio said, raising her voice, all of them hearing how nervous she was. She was shaking, and Boone instantly reached for her hand, which she appreciated as she squeezed him back.

The girl against the wall just rolled her eyes. "Okay, there's no tornado. Nine times out of ten, it's a false alarm."

Rio glanced out the window, watching as the entire rodeo stadium was torn up, disappearing into the sky. And a moment later, the sirens cut off. That was a bad sign — it meant they hadn't survived.

"You hear that?" the snarky girl asked, smiling smugly at them as the power shut off.

The boy with her groaned. "And now the power's out."

"No tornado," the girl said matter-of-factly.

Kate just ignored her. "We've gotta find shelter. Fast." She moved fast, running to the back room without permission to try and find something.