CHAPTER ONE

September 14th, 2023 - Black Ink Press Submission (draft 4)

I didn't think I'd end up here.

When you've spent your whole life running, you start to believe that you're always going to be suspended in motion - even when you find a place to rest. Sometimes, it feels like it doesn't matter how far you go from the starting line, whatever - whoever - you're running from always feels close behind.

Here, hidden in plain sight, among a sea of strangers, it's easy to feel safe. Right now, the season is on the cusp of change. Leaves are transitioning. Air conditioners are being swapped out of windows. Tourists are packing their families into local cafes, antique shops, and book stores.

We're all looking for something. The question is: do we ever really find it?

A high pitched shriek carried across the coffee shop, stopping everyone in their tracks. I dropped my pen and looked up to find the noise. Dozens of tourists were crowding into the quaint coffee shop, ordering hot apple ciders and pumpkin lattes. At the far end of the espresso bar, a young girl squealed behind her hands. Three dark-haired boys looked around frantically before one of them placed his hand on her shoulder in an attempt to quiet her excitement.

"Oh my god!," she choked out, on the verge of tears.

The boy whose hand was still resting on her shoulder, smiled wearily. "Hey, hey," he said gently. "No big deal."

More for himself than her. I watched from the corner table as the three boys each quickly gave her a hug, periodically glancing over their shoulders to make sure no one else was approaching. After a moment, the cafe returned to its normal routine. None of the other coffee-goers seemed to recognize the group, which wasn't entirely surprising considering we were in the middle of nowhere, Vermont. Also, known as Woodbury.

I'd only been here for about six months, but you learned quickly how a place like this operated. Outside of foliage season, or fall, the only people around were older couples who had been here for generations and the occasional family passing through on their way to Burlington. Most of the locals assumed I was lost when I first pulled into town, which is part of the reason I decided to stay.

The young girl was still shaking with excitement, a toothy smile plastered across her soft features. "Chris, I love you!" she exclaimed, snaking her arms around one of the boys' waists for a second time.

Chris, who was a good head taller than the girl, laughed uncomfortably. "You're so sweet," he said before offering to take a picture with her. His hair stuck out messily from a black beanie that matched the rest of his colorless outfit.

I know it isn't polite to stare, but it's not everyday that you see a teenage girl lose her mind over a couple of guys. Well, not normal guys, which by her reaction - these clearly were not.

    Chris and the two other boys gathered around her as she extended her arm for a selfie, their faces hard-pressed into tight smiles. Chris's arm was draped loosely around her shoulders. The girl gave them each one last hug before scurrying back to her table.

    The three of them shifted awkwardly near the hand off plane. I glanced between them, trying to piece together why they looked so familiar. I'd definitely seen them before. TikTok, maybe? Instagram? No, not Instagram. Who recognizes an Instagram influencer in public? Trying not to make it obvious that I was staring, I slowly lifted my phone to look like I was texting and angled the camera in their direction. I zoomed in on their faces, snapping a picture.

    From behind the bar, a barista called out, "Matt!" She placed a small paper cup on the counter. "Hot, earl grey."

    One of the other guys Chris was with turned towards the hand off plane, catching my gaze. Immediately, everything snapped into focus. These were the Sturniolo Triplets.