Chapter 8

Fyi guys, I love Lumine so whatever happens in this story is just for the plot!

I felt the crisp air nip at my skin as I sat in front of the river not so far from the inn. My back slightly ached from the hard rock i've been laying against, but the signs to get up and get over my feelings felt unnecessary. I knew already, I shouldn't be wallowing in self pity, but each individual star in the sky felt like it helped me forget anything i've ever worried about.

Yet the sound from behind me didn't go unnoticed, as I felt my catalyst right beside me, ready for whatever was to come. I could only tense when I heard a familiar voice, one I wasn't expecting.

"Is this the woman he chose over me? Pathetic."

I quickly stood up and turned around, suddenly feeling anxious. Lumine was standing before me, with what seemed to be intent to kill. Her steps towards me were slow and taunting while her sword swung carelessly in her hand.

"L-Lumine? What is this? What is going on...?" The traveler could only scoff at my words as I summoned hydro, ready to defend myself.

"Do you realise what you've caused? Out of everyone in this world, i've caught feelings for one man, and he just so happens to fancy some weak waitress that can't even wield a proper weapon. You aren't worthy."

Lumine pointed her sword to me, only two metres away.

"I challenge you to a fight to the death."

I felt speechless. My eyes widened while my hydro weakened, eventually dissipating. I wasn't stupid, I knew I wasn't on Lumines level of power. This wasn't a proper duel, this was pure murderous intent with a fake cover up of this so called "fight to the death"

I shook my head at her trying to back away before realising my feet were already in the water. "You know this isn't a fair fight. I'm not sure what you're talking about either but... killing me over such trivial matters seems excessive."

Lumines eyes narrowed at my response, a flicker of frustration crossing her face.

"Excessive?"

Her voice echoed, dripping with disdain. "You've taken everything from me. Do you even understand how I feel?"

Her grip tightened on the hilt of her sword as she took a step closer, the tip now hovering dangerously close to my throat. I could feel the cold steels presence, even tho it hadn't touched my skin yet. I felt myself start to shiver as I realised the situation I was currently in, adrenaline and the desperation to live suddenly kicking in.

"I didn't ask for any of this!" I cried, my voice trembling. "I never wanted to come between you and Xiao, but this isn't the way your despair and anger will cease, it will only increase as you feel regret seep through you for the rest of your life!" I spat at her, as her face remained anger stricken.

"Trying to talk me out of this won't change the fact that he chose you" She said bitterly, "And if you think ill just stand by and let that happen, then you're ever more naive than I thought."

Her words were like daggers, slowly and excruciatingly cutting through any confidence I might've had. Each word cut deeper than the last as the thoughts i've never wanted to hear slipped out from her mouth.

Yet there was more emotion in her eyes than anger and frustration. It wasn't just hatred driving her, it was desperation. Desperation to hold onto something that was slipping away. So the only words I could think of, might be my last.

"I'm sorry." I whimpered, my voice barely audible over the sound of the river rushing behind me. Lumine frowned, her grip on her sword slightly loosening. I let out a small breath of relief before suddenly she put both hands on the hilt and shoved it towards me.