1| The Downfall Of The Funkey Monkez

"No, we're not going to play that song!" It was just a few minutes before they had to go on stage, The Funkey Monkeyz, and this time they were going to rock it. According to half of the group, the other half had no confidence at all.
"Yes we are! It's a hit!" A boy with short brown hair rolled his eyes.
"I wanna F you, I wanna effing, effing, F you!" The other boy sang and right after there was an irritated groan.
"It has no depth at all, Devon! Saying F instead of fuck doesn't make the song any deeper." Devon looked at his bandmate with a grin. His green eyes beamed with pride.
"Yes it does, because I don't mean fuck at all! I mean finger! I wanna finger you!" he shouted enthusiastically. His bandmate looked at him traumatised after hearing him sing the words.
"Boom depth!" shouted the guy with long blond hair that just didn't reach his shoulders. He looked at his grumpy bandmate for approval.
"You're just doing Spin Like a Record and Bright So Bright." Devon looked at him annoyed.
"But Isaiah wrote that, how can that have any depth?!" Devon pointed at Isaiah, who was fiddling with the strap of his bass. The critical boy thought carefully.
"It's just that, it sounds, um, vague." Devon's eyes widened.
"Those songs were literally created when he was high and looking at a stupid lava lamp!" The boy with blond hair raised his finger for an addition.
"And a record player." Devon sighed.
"Yeah Lynx, and a fucking record player. Thank you for this great addition." Lynx smiled sweetly at Devon. While Devon meant it as sarcastically as he could. The outro sounded from the band that was up before them.
"Lynx, just do Spin Like a Record, and Bright So Bright. Okay?" The boy with short brown hair begged.
"No, instead of Spin Like a Record, do I Wanna F You." Devon looked at his bandmate as if he were his biggest competitor.
"Listen, if you guys want to choose which songs we do so badly, then you should do the lead vocals yourselves. Because as far as I know, you're Nathan, the guitarist, and you're Devon, the drummer. So I'll do whatever I want." Lynx said. After that he turned around and greeted the band that walked off in a friendly manner and politely told them how well they had done.
"Your song is never going to be anything close to a hit." Nathan muttered hostilely towards Devon. Devon glared at him.
"At least I'm writing new songs, and not repeating the same two songs that Isaiah once wrote when he was completely off the rails!" Nathan bit his lip. He clearly didn't know what to say to this.
"And now, ladies and gentlemen, it's time for The Funkey Monkeyz!" The host who was already on stage shouted. Nathan sighed in humiliation.
"I still hate that name." Isaiah walked towards the stage, past Nathan. He patted him on the shoulder.
"Your dad came up with it, bro." Nathan sighed again and then walked onto the stage behind his friend with his guitar on his back.
"You can do this." The host whispered in Nathan's ear and with another pat on the shoulder he walked onto the stage.
"Hello everyone, we are The Funkey Monkeyz. I'm Lynx, I'm playing the keyboard for you today, and I'm going to sing. Behind the guitar is Nathan." Nathan briefly raised his hand and he looked down at his feet instead of the audience.
"Behind the bass, Isaiah, and behind the drums Devon." The audience listened expectantly for what was to come.
"We're going to play two songs for you today, and the first one is, I Wanna F You." Nathan's gaze slid directly to Devon's. Devon grinned back and winked before he started drumming the intro. Nathan followed quickly with his chords, and Lynx and Isaiah both played a different melody.
"I saw a girl at the bar, I already saw her from afar. I was like hey girl, I wanna F you." Nathan bit his lip uncomfortably. He played the melody of the song as loud as he could so he wouldn't have to hear the horrible lyrics. Nathan looked at Devon, who was going all out as soon as his own written drum solo came.
"I wanna F you! I wanna effing, effing F you! Hey girl! Let me F you, please let me F you. Let me effing effing F you!" Nathan sang the second voice into the microphone in embarrassment and decided for himself that he would either kick Devon out of the band or start a solo career himself. The outro of the so 'horrible song' sounded and Nathan could finally look at the audience normally. There was a hesitant applause.
"Thank you! Now it's time for our song: Bright So Bright!" There was more applause and Isaiah started his intro on the bass.
"Bright, so bright. You shine so bright tonight. I would rather go blind, than stop looking at you shine." Nathan played his parts obediently and sang along with no problem to his short pieces. The lyrics were beautiful, but it was ruined for him as soon as he imagined Isaiah staring at a lava lamp. After the performance they received a not very impressed applause from the small audience. While Lynx was still politely thanking everyone, Nathan walked off stage, irritated by the situation, he accidentally knocked over a microphone.
"Better luck next time." The host shouted after Nathan, but Nathan had already grabbed his guitar case and fled outside with his middle finger in the air pointing at the guy who wished him good luck.
"I don't get why he always makes such a fuss about which two songs we're playing. I mean, we don't even have that many." Isaiah walked backstage with Lynx and Devon where they started packing their instruments.
"It probably wouldn't matter to you anyway. Since he always wants to play your songs." Devon said, irritated by Nathan's behaviour.
"Hey, no hate for my two songs." Isaiah said as he lit a joint and carried his bass in its case towards the exit.
"Well, at least I was sober when I wrote my song." Devon mumbled as the three boys walked outside.
"But your dick wasn't. Am I right?" Lynx asked cheerfully. Both boys ignored him and walked over to Nathan who was already waiting at the bus stop.
"Did you quit the band Nathan?" Devon asked.
"Almost." He shouted back irritated by his bandmates.
"Oh come on now. It wasn't that bad was it? I didn't stumble over my words this time, and I called you all by your right names!" Lynx shouted enthusiastically as he sat down next to Nathan. Nathan sighed.
"That's not it Lynx. You don't have the right kind of charisma. You're introducing us like we're part of your school presentation! And when you're laughing so happily while singing a sex song, I just- I don't know." Lynx looked down at his lap in disappointment.
"Hey! Lynx is doing great! You're constantly talking shit about us while you're doing absolutely nothing besides playing some stupid guitar!" Devon shouted back in Lynx's defence. Isaiah nodded.
"He's got a point bro." He mumbled vaguely as he let a puff of smoke escape his mouth.
"Maybe we should all just stop. Let's be honest, this isn't going to work anyway!" Nathan shouted in defeat. It was clear, something inside him had already given up on everything.
"Hey! You call this 'not the right charisma'?" Lynx shouted then.
"I wanna F you! I wanna effing, effing F you! Hey girl! Let me F you, please let me F you. Let me effing effing F you!" While Lynx poured his heart into singing for Nathan and Devon even beatboxed to get more out of it, Nathan could only roll his eyes and shake his head.
"Oh please stop!" The two stopped and sighed as they sat down next to Nathan on the bench. Suddenly there was a clap from a distance. The boys looked at each other with wide eyes.
"Oh no." Devon sighed tiredly. This could only mean one thing. A not so very big fan...
"Chapeau, chapeau." The shocked faces turned into frowns. A silhouette with a cigarette in his mouth walked towards them while he continued to clap in his hands. Finally he was close enough to be illuminated by the streetlights.
"I've seen you guys pass by this bar a few times now, and I have to say..." The boy pulled his sunglasses off his nose. Although it would always remain a mystery to the band why he wore sunglasses at night.
"That new song was awesome." Devon grinned proudly but Nathan didn't take that compliment.
"Okay, who are you, and what do you want?" The boy had long black curly hair that grew just past his ears and he was wearing a white and purple jacket. His figure was long and rather skinny as he bowed down a bit to face the four band members.
"I was given the name James, and the question is not what I want. The question is what you want, and the answer to that is: me."