Chapter 2: The First Day!

The morning light crept through the curtains of Josiah's bedroom, casting a soft glow across the room. The alarm on his phone buzzed insistently, a harsh reminder that today was the day he had been dreading. His first day at the Lodge Institute.

Josiah reached out from under the covers, silencing the alarm with a groggy swipe. He lay there for a moment, staring up at the ceiling, trying to summon the energy to move. His heart was already pounding in his chest, the familiar churn of anxiety building in his stomach. He had barely slept the night before, tossing and turning as thoughts of what was to come plagued his mind. But there was no escaping it now.

With a heavy sigh, Josiah forced himself out of bed. The room was cool, the early morning air nipping at his skin as he pulled on his clothes. Another hoodie, this one navy blue, and a pair of faded jeans. He ran a hand through his hair, but it stubbornly fell back into place over his eyes, as it always did. He didn't bother trying to fix it; it was part of his armour, after all. He grabbed his bag, slung it over his shoulder, and made his way downstairs.

Sam was already in the kitchen, her usual cheerful self, though Josiah could see the concern in her eyes as she looked up from her cup of tea.

"Morning, Joey," she said, her voice warm and gentle. "You sleep alright?"

Josiah shrugged. "Not really," he admitted, sinking into a chair at the table. The smell of toast and eggs filled the air, but his appetite was non-existent.

"I figured as much," Sam replied, her tone sympathetic. She placed a plate of breakfast in front of him anyway, knowing full well he wouldn't eat much of it. "It's going to be okay, you know. You've got this."

Josiah nodded, but didn't say anything. He knew she was trying to be supportive, trying to calm his nerves, but nothing could shake the feeling of dread that had settled in his chest.

"Do you want me to drop you off?" she asked, sitting down across from him.

He hesitated for a moment, then nodded again. "Yeah... I think that would be best."

"Alright then," Sam said with a smile. "We'll leave in about fifteen minutes, so you've got some time to get yourself ready."

Josiah picked at his breakfast, managing a few bites before giving up. His stomach was in too many knots to handle food. He rinsed his plate, grabbed his bag, and met his mum by the door.

The drive to the Lodge Institute was quiet, the only sound coming from the low hum of the car engine. Josiah stared out the window, watching the town pass by, his thoughts a jumble of anxiety and uncertainty. Sam kept glancing over at him, but she didn't push him to talk. She knew him well enough to understand that he needed this time to gather himself.

When they pulled up outside the college, Josiah's heart sank. The Lodge Institute was rougher than he had imagined. The building itself was old and weathered, with cracked windows and graffiti marking the walls. The car park was filled with cars, but it didn't feel welcoming; instead, there was a sense of unease, a tension that made Josiah's anxiety spike.

He swallowed hard, gripping the strap of his bag as if it could anchor him to the spot. Sam turned to him, her expression soft and encouraging.

"Remember, Joey," she said, placing a hand on his arm, "this is a new beginning. It might seem scary now, but you're going to meet people who share your interests, and you'll learn so much. You've got the talent, and this is your chance to really grow. Just take it one step at a time, okay?"

Josiah nodded, though his mouth was dry, and his heart was racing. "Thanks, Mum."

"You're going to be great," she said, giving his arm a squeeze. "I'm so proud of you."