Chapter 11

Author's note at end!

After letting Bruce take two vials of blood, we walked back to the pack house, with Rhett saying he would make us lunch. I enjoyed watching him cook and loved eating his creations. But before Rhett could even start lunch, Brian came into the kitchen, whispered something to Rhett. Rhett nodded his head. Brian left and Rhett turned towards me.

"Some pack business has come up. Rain check?"

Nodding, "Of course."

He gave me a small grin, came over and placed a kiss on my forehead before he left. It felt wonderful. A new emotion was bubbling up inside me and my wolf was very much awake after that. It felt strange to feel her so close nowadays and while it sometimes gave me headaches, they were getting fewer and farther between as I learned to have her near to me.

Deciding I would get to know the area better, before returning to the clinic later in the day, I grabbed a light jacket from one of the few clothes boxes that occupied the same room I was in beforehand, before heading out the door.

It was the beginning of October and while the days were warm, a cool undertone had crept in. Tying the jacket around my waist, I began walking towards the smaller town. What took minutes in a vehicle, took about ten to fifteen minutes to walk.

Walking down the tree lined main drive was reminiscent of the Tuscan countryside, only in the mountains. It was simple, a straight-forward path lined with a protective barrier. Once I reached the town, I took in the houses as I passed them. Gardens in some, stones and rocks in others, a tire swing hanging from a large tree.

All these houses belonged to pack members. My pack members now. That was a strange thought. Even though Rhett, Max and a few higher up individuals had accepted me, would the rest of the pack? Would they welcome me without judgement? Unknown fear surrounded me, but a calming wave from my wolf helped dissipate the fear.

I was a wolf. I had a wolf. Even if we weren't fully bridged, she was still there and we were one, and we would become one as time went on. Did I wish I could shift on demand, do pack runs, feel comfortable in the skin of a wolf? Absolutely, but hopefully with a path forward I could get there or get partially there.

Wandering past more houses, before I came to the main turn road, I came across a main square or plaza area and then a back entrance to the general store. There were benches for sitting, a small play area for kids or wolves potentially, and then a couple of other small shops that looked to be part of the backs of homes, surrounded the square. There were smaller trees and a place for a bonfire.

It was cute.

Walking through the square a bit I entered the general store, to see its offerings. A bell dinged as the door was pushed open. A middle-aged man in his forties looked up and over at me walking in. He looked at me for a minute, before saying hi and welcome. I was guessing he was a bit startled to see someone not from the small town in the store. I was a stranger to the pack.

Wandering through the small and short aisles of the general store browsing, it was well stocked with about all the basics one would need if they didn't want to make a further drive into the larger town. Around when I was passing the frozen and refrigerated items, the bell above the door dinged.

"Hey Mark." Erin's voice called out to the man I assumed was behind the counter.

"Hello Erin." Mark called back. I looked up from the ice cream to see Erin making her way towards me. I didn't want to say anything. It felt like I was in trouble.

"Hey Emily" She started, and I didn't say anything. I felt like a small child, about ready to get a scolding for doing something I shouldn't have. "What are you looking for?"