Chapter 24: Butterfly

Elodie POV

Five years na kaming magkasama ni Jake, pero sa kabila ng lahat, nanatili pa rin kaming lihim sa mata ng publiko. Ang daming speculation, ang daming rumors, pero we've managed to keep our relationship private. Para kaming nasa isang pelikula, where everyone's guessing, pero kami lang ang nakakaalam ng totoong kwento.

Despite the constant linking of our names, Jake and I never did another project together after "Maya." Pero kahit na ganoon, we still ended up with our own loveteam fanbase. It's weird but fascinating at the same time, knowing that people still root for us kahit walang solid proof. They see something in us, something that resonates, even if they don't know the full truth.

Over the years, ang dami na naming napuntahan ni Jake, making memories that are just for the two of us. We've been to different places, from the bustling cities to the quiet countryside. Pero walang makakatalo sa recent trip namin sa Singapore, one of the most unforgettable trips we've ever taken.

It was just another day—or at least, iyon ang akala ko. Nandun kami sa isang butterfly museum, one of my favorite spots in the city. The air was filled with the gentle flutter of wings, vibrant colors, and the soft hum of nature. Para kaming nasa ibang mundo, surrounded by beauty. Habang naglalakad kami sa loob, I was lost in the moment, admiring the butterflies around us, nang biglang lumapit sa akin si Jake, may hawak na something small.

"Earphones?" I asked, laughing a bit habang iniaabot niya sa akin.

"Just trust me," he said, with that mischievous smile na palaging nagpapakaba ng puso ko.

There was something in his eyes, that familiar sparkle that always made my heart skip a beat. So I put the earphones in, and as soon as the music started playing, 

I recognised the song. It was "Lucky" by Jason Mraz. It was one of our songs, one we played during our road trips and quiet nights together. I couldn't help but smile as I listened to the familiar lyrics:

Lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again...

But before I could fully enjoy the moment, napansin kong hindi na siya nakatayo. He was kneeling in front of me, right there in the middle of the butterfly museum.

My breath caught, my heart pounding as I realized what was happening.

"Jake..." I whispered, my voice trembling.

He looked up at me, his eyes full of love and sincerity. Slowly, he opened a small box, revealing a stunning ring that sparkled even in the soft light of the museum.

"Elodie," he began, his voice steady pero puno ng emosyon. 

"I've loved you since we were kids, and I've been lucky enough to love you even more these past five years. I can't imagine my life without you. Will you marry me?"

For a moment, it felt like the world stopped. The butterflies, the music, the people around us—they all faded into the background. All I could see was Jake, the man I'd loved for so long, asking me to spend the rest of my life with him.

Tears welled up in my eyes, my hands shaking as I looked at him, barely believing that this was real. 

"Jake..." I could hardly get the words out, overwhelmed by the flood of emotions. 

"Yes, of course, yes!"

Tears began to stream down my face, but they were tears of pure joy. Jake stood up, sliding the ring onto my finger before pulling me into his arms. I held onto him tightly, feeling like I was in a dream—a dream I never wanted to wake up from.

Just when I thought the moment couldn't get any better, a familiar, sweet voice echoed through the air.

"Yeay! Tita Elodie is going to be my real Tita!" Raphi's excited voice broke through the haze.

Jake and I laughed, turning to see our families standing there, smiling and clapping. I hadn't even noticed them arriving, but there they were - my mom, Lola, and his family, all watching us with proud and joyful eyes. It all made sense now... why Jake insisted they join us on this trip. He had planned everything down to the last detail.

I looked at him, still holding Raphi in one arm, his other hand never letting go of mine. His eyes met mine, full of love and promise, and in that moment, I knew this was where I was meant to be.

"I can't believe you did all of this," I said, my voice still shaky with emotion.

He grinned, leaning down to kiss me softly. 

"I'd do anything for you, El. I love you."

As we stood there, surrounded by butterflies and the people we loved most, I felt like the luckiest person in the world. This wasn't just a proposal—it was a promise. A promise of forever, of always being there for each other, no matter what.

"Yeay! I can't wait for the wedding!" Raphi squealed, hugging both of us tightly.

We laughed, the sound of joy filling the air. This was what love was supposed to feel like—pure, overwhelming, and undeniable. I looked around at the faces of our families, seeing their happiness reflected in their eyes, and I knew that this was just the beginning.