•𝓓𝓸𝓷𝓽 𝓑𝓵𝓪𝓶𝓮 𝓜𝓮•

The battle raged on around them, a chaotic symphony of explosions, energy blasts, and shouts echoing through the darkened city streets. Nia Nal fought with everything she had, her powers surging through her as she deflected attacks and took down enemies. But even in the heat of battle, her thoughts kept drifting to Brainy—Querl Dox—who fought by her side, his focus razor-sharp, his every move calculated to perfection.

They had been pushed to their limits, outnumbered and overwhelmed, but they hadn't given up. They couldn't. Too much was at stake.

"Nia, get down!" Brainy shouted, his voice cutting through the chaos.

She barely had time to react before he tackled her to the ground, just as a burst of energy sizzled past them, narrowly missing her head. They rolled to a stop behind a crumbling wall, breathing heavily, their hearts pounding in sync.

"Thanks," Nia panted, looking up at him with a grateful smile.

Brainy's expression was serious, his eyes scanning their surroundings for any more threats. "We need to keep moving. We're sitting ducks here."

Nia nodded, but before they could get up, a group of heavily armed soldiers rounded the corner, their weapons trained on them. There was no time to think, only to act. Nia jumped to her feet, ready to defend them, but Brainy was faster.

He moved in front of her, his body acting as a shield, just as one of the soldiers fired. The shot rang out, and time seemed to slow as Nia watched in horror. Brainy's body jerked from the impact, and he collapsed to the ground, a cry of pain escaping his lips.

"No!" Nia screamed, dropping to her knees beside him.

The soldiers advanced, but Nia barely noticed. All she could see was Brainy, lying there, blood pooling beneath him, his breathing labored and weak. Tears blurred her vision as she cradled his head in her lap, her hands trembling as she tried to stop the bleeding.

"Brainy, please," she whispered, her voice shaking. "Stay with me."

His eyes fluttered open, and he looked up at her, a small, pained smile on his lips. "Nia..."

"Why did you do that?" she choked out, tears streaming down her face. "Why did you take the bullet?"

His hand weakly reached up to touch her cheek, his thumb brushing away a tear. "Because... for you, I'd fall from grace," he whispered, his voice barely audible. "I'd sacrifice everything... just to keep you safe."

Nia's heart shattered at his words, the weight of his sacrifice crashing down on her. "Brainy, you didn't have to do this. I need you. I can't lose you."

"I couldn't let you get hurt," he breathed, his hand slipping from her face. "You mean... everything to me."

Nia sobbed, pressing her forehead against his, her tears mingling with the blood on his face. "You're going to be okay," she whispered, trying to convince herself as much as him. "We're going to get you out of here. You're going to be fine."

But even as she said the words, she could feel him slipping away, his strength fading with each passing second. The battle raged on around them, but all Nia could hear was the sound of his labored breathing, the faint, unsteady beat of his heart.

"Nia..." he whispered, his voice growing weaker. "I love you."

"I love you too," she sobbed, clutching him tightly, as if her love alone could keep him alive. "Please don't leave me, Brainy. I need you. I can't do this without you."

His eyes met hers one last time, filled with a love so deep it took her breath away. "You'll be okay," he whispered, his voice barely a breath. "You're stronger... than you know..."

And then, with a final, shuddering breath, his eyes closed, his body going still in her arms.

Nia screamed, a raw, anguished sound that tore through the night. She clung to him, her tears soaking his blood-stained shirt, her heart breaking into a million pieces. He was gone, and there was nothing she could do to bring him back.

But as she sat there, holding the lifeless body of the man she loved, she knew that his sacrifice would never be in vain. He had given his life to save hers, and she would honor that sacrifice every day for the rest of her life.

And though the pain of losing him would never fully heal, she would carry his love with her, a love so powerful, so consuming, that it had saved her in more ways than one.

As the battle raged on around her, Nia stood, her grief fueling her resolve. She wasn't done fighting. She would finish this, for him, for them, for the love that had made her stronger than she ever thought possible.