Chapter 8: It's Just Begun

Shaivi's POV

I paced around the hospital waiting room. It had been 52 minutes since they took Anmay inside for treatment. I still remember the look of pure fear in his eyes. It haunts me. The way his hand clutched mine from home to here. Any moment now, the doctor would come out and tell us if he was alright or- No, he had to be alright. He couldn't die on me. I felt someone's hand on my shoulder. I look back to see Jai staring at me with a pained expression. His own eyes were red and puffy from crying.

"Mira has been crying non-stop. I tried to calm her, but it didn't work. Maybe you as a woman could be of better help."

I nodded, walking over to Mira. She was hunched over, her face red from crying. All her makeup had melted off, giving her a raccoon-like appearance. I patted her back.

"Mira, look at me, please?"

She looked up. The pain and worry was evident in her expression, and my heart ached for her.

"Nothing will happen to Anmay, okay? This is the best hospital in the city, and the doctors with him are one of the best in the whole world. They won't let anything happen to him. Believe me."

She wiped her eyes, glaring up at me. "I won't forgive you if anything happens to him, you hear me?! He's the only one I have to call my own. I can't-" She shook her head "-just can't fathom the fact of him not being there. I just can't."

I pull her into my arms. "It won't happen. Your brother is a fighter, darling. He won't be subdued so easily. For now, how about you return back home, hmm? I'll call you as soon as he wakes up, I promise."

She tried to argue back, but the tiredness of the day had caught up to her. She gave up, and I asked Jai to drive her back to my place. I sigh, sitting back down on the cold metal chair. Truth be told, I wouldn't forgive myself if anything happened to him either. Why did I care so much about him? I didn't know. I blamed it on my conscience. I just didn't want to have the blood of an innocent man on my hands. Nothing more, nothing less.

I heard footsteps and looked up to find the doctor walking over in my direction. I stood up, nervously wringing my hands. "Is he alright?"

The doctor nodded solemnly. "Mr. Kohli is out of danger now. But-" He took a deep breath. "He was poisoned. With Cyanide."

My eyes widen. Cyanide poisoning? It was a common trick to kill anyone. Besides, cyanide was always present with all of our members for 'insurance' purposes. Which meant that every person in the damn room was a suspect. I filed that information away for later. Right now, my priority is Anmay.

"Can I see him, please?"

The doctor nods. "3rd floor, VIP suite 4."

I thank him, before making my way up to the room. My heart thuds loudly in my chest. I try to calm it, but nothing works. I open the door and spot Anmay lying on the hospital bed, a few different machines connected to him. His face was still a nasty shade of red. His breath came out in short pants. I pulled a chair and sat beside him, holding his hand. It smelled like bitter almonds in the room, probably from the cyanide. I rubbed small circles over the back of his hand and felt my heartbeat finally calming down. He was alive. That's all that mattered for now.

The door opened and Sharma ji walked in, followed by Colonel Singh, the head of our security. Both of them looked apologetic as they glanced from me to Anmay and back. Colonel spoke first,

"Saheb I-"

"How could this even happen?" My voice was cold.

"It was a breach in the security, Saheb. We're working on it."

"'Working on it?' Are you serious, Colonel? The reason you're our head of security is to make sure that we are protected. And you failed in that."

"We did the standard routine procedure, Saheb. Scanned all the waitstaff, the decorators, the guests-"

"I don't want your pathetic excuses, Colonel." I cut him off, the rage evident in my words. "Find out who did this. I want a report on my table before sunset tomorrow, or I'll make sure that no one even finds your finger, much less your head. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Saheb." He bites out, eyes to the floor.

"Get out and get to work." I snap at him. He bristles, before turning and leaving the room. I pin my attention to Sharma ji next.

"Breathe, Shaivi." He pats my back. "I get it, you're scared. But there is no reason to worry now, okay? Anmay is fine. The doctors-"

"How can I not worry?! He nearly died because of me." I run a hand through my hair. "He's innocent, damn it."

He sighed. "Get one thing right, Shaivi. We're in the mafia world. Casualties occur."

I glared back at him. "Maybe. But not on my watch. And especially not my husband."

"Fake-husband, beta." He corrects, and I huff in annoyance. "Unless-"

"Ugh, no. He's not my type anyway. I just don't want him to die before the contract is over." I cross my arms. That was it, right?

Before he can question me further, Anmay begins to stir. I let out a breath of relief. "Hey, hey, it's okay. You're okay."

"What happened?" He mutters groggily, his voice hoarse and soft.

"You had anxiety-induced hyperacidity, Anmay." I lie.

"What?"

"In simple terms, you were too nervous, and you probably didn't eat much too. It caused hyperacidity, which in turn caused chest pain, and we mistook it for a heart attack. You're fine now, okay?"

He nods, seemingly satisfied with the answer. And it makes my guilt worsen.

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't apologize for things you cannot control, Anmay." I scold lightly, and he shuts up. He looks down to see his hand intertwined with mine and smiles faintly.

"Can I ask you something, Ma'am?"

I nod, urging him to continue.

"You could have easily let me die today. Had I died, you could easily play the heartbroken widow for however long you wanted. No one could have forced you to remarry, and the company would have stayed in your control without the help of a man. Why didn't you?"

I bristle. Is that what he thought of me? An indifferent egomaniac who cared more about money than anything else?

"I didn't mean to offend you, Ma'am. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to."

He tried to take his hand out of mine, but I held on.

"You're right, I could have." I hiss, angry. "But I didn't. Because I see you as a person, Anmay, not a pawn. You're here to help me as much as I'm here to help you. Both of us entered this mutually beneficial contract, and I'd be damned if only one of us reaps the benefits."

I look up to see him looking at me with those trust-filled eyes.

"What?" I question.

"I knew I was right to trust you, Shaivi Raisinghania."