Chapter 5: The Contract

Anmay's POV

"Okay, that's enough, Jai," I muttered, annoyed by the sound of him laughing. Despite the NDA, some idiot had blurted out the entire incident to him, including the time that I got pulled away by the hostess herself, and he was enjoying my plight.

"You know this is a big deal, right? What did that lady tell you exactly in the hallway?"

He prodded. A faint hint of blush crept up on my cheeks. That lady, Miss Shaivi Raisinghania. She was gorgeous, no doubt, but it was her confidence that I envied. The way she carried herself as if she owned the world. The assertiveness with which she spoke. And her eyes, damn her eyes. Dark as the night itself, with soft specks of gold. She wasn't tall, no, but she seemed larger than life itself. Soft black hair, and deep tanned skin, she could give any supermodel a run for their money. Why she chose to join her father's real estate business, God knew. Jai, being himself, took my silence for all the wrong reasons.

"Oh my god, did she kiss you?!"

I loved my best friend, but at that moment, I wanted to slap him for disrespecting a woman like that.

"Of course, I didn't, you idiot! Ma'am just told me to never speak of it again outside the room, that's all."

He rolled his eyes. I wanted to retort back, but my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number, but I picked it up anyway.

"Hello? Am I speaking to Anmay Kohli?" A professional voice asked from the other side.

"Yes, this is him."

"Oh, sir. This is a call from Raisinghania Realtors. Our CEO wishes to see you, sir. When would be a feasible time?"

I panicked. Had Ms. Raisinghania decided to not forgive me after all?

"Umm, I would be free.... tomorrow morning?"

"Excellent, sir. I'll set up a meeting for tomorrow morning, 10 am sharp. And sir? Please do not tell anyone about this call."

The man on the other end hung up, and I looked dumbfounded. Why the hell was Shaivi Raisinghania calling me? What the hell did she want from me?

I look up to see Jai looking questioningly at me. It was going to be hard to lie to him, but I had to.

"It was for.... an audition. Pant's office called me back." I mentally cringe at how easily the lie slips through my lips.

"Oh my god, Ani, that's amazing!" Jai gave me a reassuring pat on the back, and my guilt grew.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The next day

The moment I stepped foot into the office building housing Raisinghania Realtors, I was ushered into the cabin of Ms. Shaivi Raisinghania. It was situated on the topmost floor and had a view of the entire city. I watch around in awe. It was what I imagined a villain's lair to look like. The floors were made of black marble, the walls were painted a mute grey color. A large desk sat at one end of the room, with matching black lamps and stationery. On the right was a small space with cat beds and scratch posts, where a large grey cat snored. I slowly approached the cat, until a voice stopped me.

 I slowly approached the cat, until a voice stopped me