Chapter 3: Every dog gets their day

Anmay's POV

Jai looked questioningly at me as I slurped on the 3rd bowl of Manchurian soup. I hadn't told him about what happened at the audition, but like a true best friend, he had figured that my mood was sour and brought me to my favorite desi Chinese place.

"Okay, slow down, or you're going to be sick, okay?" Jai sighed. "You know you can tell me anything, and I mean anything, right?"

I let out a shuddered breath. Truth is, I couldn't, not with that stupid paper I signed anyway.

"Nothing, bhai, just unhappy that the audition didn't work out." I lie, shrugging. "They said I wasn't the right fit, and that hurt, that's all." I could tell he didn't buy the excuse, but he also respected my boundaries and didn't ask any more questions.

"Fine. Anyways, the people from Mira's coaching academy had called."

I froze. Was something wrong? Was she hurt? Did I miss any payments? Were they going to kick her out?

"They said that Mira won some inter-city competition." He continues, and I let out a breath of relief. "And they want to send her up to state level."

I smiled. Mira was always like this. Although she was younger than me by 3 years, she was better in both academics and sports. Once upon a time, our small house had been filled with her trophies in football, before- No, not tonight. Tonight was not the night to wallow in the past. It was the time to be happy.

"Can you call her? I want to talk to her. Please?"

"Are you sure? I mean, isn't this past the hostel timings?"

"Arey, I just want to talk to my baby sister, I'm sure the matron won't mind."

Jai laughs, before pulling out his phone and dialing the number of the hostel she stayed at. After a very long argument with a very pissed-off matron, she begrudgingly agreed to let Mira talk to me.

"Hi, bhaiyya! Did you hear about my accomplishment today?" She flaunted, the joy quite evident in her voice.

"Of course I did. I'm so proud of you, you know?"

"I do. But... there's a problem."

"What problem?"

"For the state-level training, the coach has asked me to pay 10,000 rupees more."

I sighed, rubbing a hand over my face. 10K was a big amount.

"It's okay if you can't, bhaiyya. I'll play city for another year-"

"Absolutely not." I stopped her before she could finish her sentence. "You just keep your grades up and play well. Let me worry about everything else."

"But-"

"Bhai se jaban ladaygi ab?" I scold her. "You don't worry about stuff you don't need to."

She sighs, "Fine. I have to go now, the matron is back. Take care."

The call disconnects, and I feel Jai's hand on my shoulder.

"How much do you need, hmm?"

"Jai bhai, I don't want your sympathy-"

"I'm not helping you because I feel pity for you, Anmay." He huffs. "I just have a job in line for you. Waitressing for a party. The clients are rich, but they demand you sign an NDA. The pay is 12K for a full day."

"What's an NDA?"

"A non-disclosure agreement- a piece of paper which says that the rich can sue you for revealing whatever happened at that party."

The mention of the NDA makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe it was the same thing that the receptionist made me sign. A million thoughts ran through my head. The thought of what the people at the party could would do to me. Would they be like Pant, or would they be worse? And me? Selling my own free will for a few hours-

"It's not what you think," Jai reassured me. "They most likely will discuss business there. And these small words from big people cause unnecessary drama. So to prevent it, the NDA."

I still felt uneasy. But I need the money.

"I agree, bhai. I'll do it. But, what is this party for?"

"It's for business tycoon Raichand Raisinghania's tehrvi...."