| Occurrences and Events |

Ajabdeh could not believe that she was caught in this situation. She had not expected Kunwar Pratap to drag her into this, but he had, with such ease that it was also hard to actually leave the situation, ignoring the fact that she did not really want to leave it as such. The more she thought of it, the more complicated it will get, she felt. But her brain sometimes did not listen. Pratap confused her, yet gave her such power of clarity, he was an enigma.

Her enigma, her traitorous mind whispered, which she snapped at within, silencing that thought brutally. Yes, she was definitely going mad. She forced herself to focus on Pratap's words, for it was now important that she participate.

".... which is how Gauhar Jaan got entry into Bijolia. But we did not even meet her that day, because we had all gone to Chambal."

"Who is this we?" Rana Udai Singh asked.

"Daaijraj, Ajabdeh, Phool and Subhagyavati were there with Purohitji for the nadi pooja, and I was following a trail, while Chakrapani, Bhim and Venidas were on the way to join the pooja. It was then that the Afghans also reached Chambal," sighed Pratap quietly, his eyes flashing. He remembered that day, and the fury that had filled him. They had no idea of this type of encroachment of their maatrubhumi, and above all that, the girls were also caught in it. He remembered his entire focus had been on Ajabde, and he had grabbed her. He knew his fear had been for her as well now, in retrospect. He continued, "I am sure there were words exchanged between Ajabdeh and Phool with those encroachers, and Ajabdeh called for me. Those foolish men were.."

And now Pratap went on to describe the battle, and the return, and his planning with Raoji to reduce this Afghan terror. He went on to talk about winning the wars, and Mehmood Shah's wish for peace, Rao Mamrakh's suspicions, and quickly concluded with the actual Afghan attack. Pratap made sure to stress that Ajabdeh had indeed saved the day by reaching out to him and bringing him back to Bijolia at the right time.

Ajabdeh blushed when Pratap praised her warmly, though his words were all true, with respect to everything she had done. She flushed further when Rana Udai Singh also looked impressed, commending her for her quick thinking.

"Tell us about Gauhar Jaan."

Pratap now took a deep sigh, looking at Ajabdeh, who also sighed in response. The two had discussed this briefly, and had their own sound theories. Pratap started discussing about Gauhar Jaan, and how, within a few days, both he and Raoji had suspicions on her, and had been watching her. It was on Pratap's plea that Raoji had not written to Udai Singh, the former said.

He slowly moved into harder territory, admitting to his quick following of Rao Surtan and getting bit by a snake, which caused an uproar. Jaivanta Bai immediately embraced her son, who hugged her tightly, as if to sooth her. Ajabdeh closed her eyes, trying to suppress her horror at the memories of those awful days. Pratap looked at Ajabdeh at that exact moment, worried yet strangely pleased at her concern for him, though what had happened was in the past.

"If I live today, it is due to Ajabdeh's quick actions."

"What do you mean, Kunwar Pratap?" Udai Singh asked, looking at Ajabdeh with gratitude, but focusing on his son.

"I knew Ajabdeh will downplay what happened, so I had asked Venidas for the details," Pratap glanced at her, now narrating everything, including Ajabdeh's constant protection and service of him. He spoke of how she had gotten the medicine none could, how she refused to give up, how she sat for nights and days, reading the grantha of his ancestors to him to keep him awake. He finally said how she had reached into his subconscious with her words and pulled him out, reminding him of his duty to his motherland.

"Ajabdeh..." Jaivanta Bai and Udai Singh did not even know what to say. She had saved the life of Mewar with her actions, and clearly, without a care for herself. She was impressing them more and more by the moment.

"Ajabdeh, I do not know how to thank you," whispered Jaivanta Bai, just embracing the young girl tightly, stroking her long, soft hair with affection. The more she heard, the more sure she was of her choice for Pratap. She looked at her husband, who looked thoughtful, watchful and proud, but also extremely concerned for Pratap. The Prince in question hugged his father, curling into the King, who now clutched at him tightly.

"Rani Maasa, there is no reason to thank me," Ajabdeh said softly. "Kunwar Pratap is my friend."

"Only a friend?" whispered the Queen knowingly, making Ajabdeh look at her with wide eyes and a deep red blush, revealing her inner heart to the knowing eyes of a mother. Jaivanta Bai continued, "I thought as much. But we will talk about this later."

"Ji Rani Maa," Ajabdeh whispered softly, reluctant to leave the warm embrace of Jaivanta Bai. The latter, understanding Ajabdeh's emotions, hugged her tighter, before gently letting go, as if to say, come and be with me for a while after this talk. Ajabdeh got the hint, smiling softly at the Queen, before turning back to the room at large.

"There is a lot to talk about, I think," Udai Singh had realized why his wife already adored Ajabdeh. He himself could see the aura of goodness around the young girl, an aura he had seen before in his first wife, and then their eldest son. He turned his eyes on Kunwar Pratap, who seemed to be observing his mother and Ajabdeh with a fond look in his eyes.

Interesting, mused Udai Singh, looking at Jaivanta Bai, who had, of course, caught his look, and gave him a knowing smile. He had to talk to her soon, then. Sooner the better, in fact. 

*****

NOT EDITED. 

I know you can all sense what I am building up to, but I wonder, is everything going to be as easy as it seems to be?

Hope you all liked this chapter! The next chapter should be up by Monday/Tuesday mostly.