||'Chapter 31: Amara's Days'||

The hospital room was quiet, save for the soft hum of the machines that monitored Amara's vitals. Jaden sat by her bed, his eyes fixed on her unconscious form, guilt gnawing at him. Her face was bruised, her body battered, and every breath she took seemed to carry a weight that Jaden couldn't bear. He clenched his fists, the fire that usually fueled his strength now reduced to a simmering anger turned inward. This was his fault—or at least, that's how he saw it.

Jaden's mind replayed the events of the night over and over, each time asking himself why he hadn't been there, why he hadn't protected her. The Unknowns had attacked with brutal precision, targeting Amara for reasons they still didn't fully understand. But one thing was clear to Jaden: he had failed her.

As Jaden sat in silence, the door to the room opened slowly. Copper, Amara's father, entered, his face etched with worry and fatigue. The usually stern hero now looked like a man who had been torn apart by fear for his daughter. He moved to the other side of the bed, his large hand gently brushing a stray lock of hair from Amara's forehead.

"How is she?" Copper asked, his voice barely above a whisper, not wanting to disturb the fragile peace in the room.

Jaden shook his head, his voice heavy with emotion. "The doctors say she's stable, but they don't know when she'll wake up."

Copper nodded, his eyes never leaving Amara's face. "She's strong," he said quietly, more to himself than to Jaden. "She'll pull through this. She has to."

The room fell into a heavy silence, broken only by the steady beep of the heart monitor. Jaden wanted to say something, anything to comfort Copper, but the words wouldn't come. He felt paralyzed by his own guilt, unable to find solace even in Copper's presence.

"Jaden," Copper finally said, his voice firm but gentle, "this isn't your fault. You didn't put her in that bed."

Jaden's eyes flickered with pain as he looked at Copper. "But I should've been there. I should've stopped them."

Copper sighed, a deep, weary sound. "You can't be everywhere at once. You're strong, but you're not invincible. None of us are."

Jaden looked down, his mind clouded with self-blame. "She got hurt because of me... because I wasn't strong enough to protect her."

Copper was about to respond when Amara shifted slightly in her sleep, a soft moan escaping her lips. Both men froze, watching her with bated breath. But after a moment, she stilled again, falling back into her unconscious state.

Jaden exhaled slowly, the tension in his body refusing to ease. "Why did they go after her, Copper? Why Amara?"

Copper's face hardened, a look of determination replacing the earlier softness. "They must've known something... something about her, or maybe something about you. The Unknowns are never random."

Jaden frowned, his mind racing with possibilities. The Unknowns were always methodical, always had a plan. If they had targeted Amara, there had to be a reason. But what?

As they both stared at Amara, her mind was far away, drifting through the corridors of her past.

          In the depths of her unconscious mind, Amara found herself standing in a familiar yet distant place. The sky above was a brilliant blue, and the land around her was lush and vibrant, filled with the sounds of life. She recognized this place—it was her childhood home, the place where her story began.

A younger version of herself ran through the fields, her laughter echoing through the air as her mother watched over her, a serene smile on her face. Amara's mother, with her ethereal beauty and gentle aura, was the embodiment of grace and power. She had always been more than just a mother; she was a guiding light, a beacon of strength.