Chapter 5- Find you

Author's POV

Carter woke up to the soft light of morning filtering through the window, casting a warm glow over the room. His eyes were still heavy with sleep, but the anklet on the windowsill caught his attention. He studied it intently, lost in thought, as he traced the delicate chain with his fingers. The subtle shimmer of the jewelry seemed to reflect the lingering impression of the woman he had only glimpsed the night before.

As he became more aware of his surroundings, Carter realized the apartment was unusually quiet. The only sound was the faint hum of the city outside. He turned his gaze toward the couch, where Emmett lay sprawled across it, a blanket draped haphazardly over him. Emmett's slow, rhythmic breathing was the only indication of his presence. The couch, usually reserved for Carter's solitary moments, was now occupied, and the sight irritated him.

Carter moved across the room, his footsteps soft but deliberate, the creak of the floorboards punctuating the stillness. He shook Emmett's shoulder gently, but with an edge of impatience. "What are you doing here, man?" Carter's voice was rough with sleep and annoyance. "Why aren't you at your place? You know I don't like sharing my space. This is not the place for you to crash." Carter is very private and reserved about his personal space and home.

Emmett groaned and rolled over on the couch, rubbing his eyes. "Dude, I was tired. You were off in your world painting all night, so I figured I'd crash here. You were so zoned out you didn't even notice." Carter sighed, glancing at the anklet again. "Yeah, well, you know I'm not big on having company. This place is meant for one person."

Emmett sat up and stretched. "I get it, man. But I gotta ask, what's with the sudden obsession?" He nodded toward the painting on the easel, still half-finished but already capturing the glow of the moonlight reflecting off YN's face. "You haven't painted like that in a long time. Who is she?"

Carter looked away, still holding the anklet delicately in his hands. "I don't know who she is. That's the problem. I barely saw her, but there was something... something about her." His voice trailed off as he tried to put the feeling into words. "It's like she just appeared out of nowhere, like she wasn't even real. But she was. And now I can't get her out of my head."

Emmett raised an eyebrow. "So you're telling me you're losing sleep and painting till sunrise over a girl you saw for like five seconds?"

Carter shrugged, his gaze locked on the delicate anklet in his hand. "It's not just that. It's the way she looked so free, so alive, even just for that moment. Like she had the whole world in her eyes. I can't explain it, Emmett, but it's like I needed to capture that feeling before it slipped away. There is something about her... something that just stays with you."

Emmett leaned back and studied his friend for a moment. "Sounds like you've got it bad. But what are you going to do now? Just hold onto that anklet and hope you cross paths with her again?"

Carter didn't answer right away. He was still deep in thought, running his fingers over the intricate design of the anklet. "I don't know. Maybe that's exactly what I'm hoping for."

Emmett shook his head, grinning. "Man, you've got it bad. Well, good luck with that. I'm heading out, but maybe grab some real sleep before you start obsessing again."

Carter gave a faint smile as Emmett left. Once he was alone again, he placed the anklet on the windowsill where the morning sun caught it just right. The small piece of jewelry seemed to hold a promise—a connection to someone he hadn't even met properly. And yet, he felt like he had to find her, as if their paths were meant to cross again.

After Emmett left, the quiet returned, but it was now filled with a sense of determination that gripped Carter. He stood by the window, staring at the anklet as it sparkled in the soft morning light. The thought of letting the memory of her slip away felt unbearable. He didn't know much about her—just glimpses, moments, feelings—but that was enough to ignite something deep within him. His mind raced with possibilities, each one more desperate than the last. How would he find her? He didn't even know where to begin.