Shadows of the Past

The candlelight flickered softly in the dimly lit room, casting elongated shadows on the walls. Kim Seungmin sat at a small desk, his gaze fixed on an old, tattered map spread before him. The edges were frayed, and the ink was faded, but the map held a significant place in Seungmin's heart—it represented the land he once called home.

Changbin, his trusted confidant and ally, stood nearby, his expression serious. "You've been quiet, Seungmin," he said. "What's on your mind?"

Seungmin's fingers traced the outline of the map. "The King's cruelty knows no bounds," he said quietly. "He sacrificed his own brother for power and has plunged our family into darkness."

Changbin's eyes narrowed with concern. "And you think returning to the palace was the right choice?"

Seungmin's jaw tightened. "My brother didn't want to come back, but I insisted. I couldn't let go of my need for revenge. The palace is a place of darkness, but it's also where I'll find the justice I seek."

Changbin nodded, understanding the weight of Seungmin's words. "The plan to infiltrate the palace and gather intelligence was dangerous. But you and your brothers were born into this, and it's clear that the King's wrath is unforgiving."

Seungmin's mind drifted back to the days of his youth, to the night when everything changed. The blaze that consumed their family home, the cries of his parents, and the desperate flight from the inferno were etched into his memory. He had watched from the shadows as the flames devoured everything he had ever known.

"After the fire, we lived in hiding, our identities lost to the world," Seungmin said, his voice tinged with bitterness. "The King believed us dead. But the truth is, we survived and returned, only to be thrust into the heart of his schemes."

He took a deep breath, the memories of his brother's suffering weighing heavily on him. "The palace was no place for us to remain. We were caught up in the King's plots and the machinations of the ministers. The plan to send spies to foreign lands, to use them as pawns in their game of power—it was brutal."

Changbin's expression softened. "And now, you carry the burden of revenge, with your brother's death still fresh in your heart."

Seungmin's eyes were hard with resolve. "I am the last of my family. My brother was taken from me, and those who were once allies are now enemies. I will see this through, no matter the cost."

---

The palace garden was bathed in the soft light of the early evening. Minho wandered among the flower benchs, the gentle colors and fragrances providing a rare sense of tranquility. Seungmin approached with his usual confident stride, carrying a small basket.

"I have something for you," Seungmin said, his voice cheerful. He placed the basket gently on the ground before Minho. Inside were three tiny kittens, their fur soft and eyes wide with curiosity.

Minho's eyes lit up with surprise and delight. "Kittens?" he asked, reaching out to gently touch one of the small creatures. "They're adorable!"

Seungmin watched Minho's reaction with a smile. "I think they might bring some joy into your life. They're resilient, just like you."

Minho's cheeks flushed slightly, and he looked up at Seungmin with gratitude. "Thank you, Seungmin. This is unexpected, but very much appreciated."

Seungmin's gaze lingered on Minho, his heart swelling with a mix of affection and confusion. He had come to cherish these moments with Minho, the gentle exchanges and the growing connection between them. Yet, Seungmin was part of his own feelings. He had never experienced such emotions before, and they left him unsettled.

"Do you have a name for them?" Minho asked, carefully cradling one of the kittens.

Seungmin shook his head. "I think you might choose names for them. I'm sure you have a way with these creatures."

Minho pondered for a moment, then smiled. "How about Soonie, Doongie, and Dori? "

Seungmin nodded approvingly. "Those are lovely names. Soonie, Doongie, and Dori will be well cared for."

Minho's fingers stroked the fur of one of the kittens, and he glanced up at Seungmin with a shy smile. "I didn't expect to see you so caring, Seungmin. It's a side of you I haven't seen before."

Seungmin's heart skipped a beat at the softness in Minho's voice. "I suppose everyone has their own way of showing care," he said, his tone gentle. "For me, it's these small gestures that matter."

As they sat together, the kittens playfully explored their new surroundings, Seungmin felt an unfamiliar warmth spreading through him. He watched Minho's expressions of joy and wonder, and it stirred something deep within him. Yet, he struggled to understand what these feelings meant.

Later that night, Seungmin lay in his chambers, staring at the ceiling. The events of the day replayed in his mind, the laughter and lightness of the garden contrasting sharply with the dark memories of his past.

The memory of his brother's death haunted him. He remembered the teacher who had trained them, a wise old man who had revealed the truth of his brother's fate. The news had been devastating—his twin brother, his closest ally, had been killed along with the other spies.

Seungmin's heartache was overwhelming. His brother had been a gentle soul, not suitable for the brutal world of espionage. His loss had left Seungmin with a void that could never be filled. The anger and sorrow fused into a powerful desire for revenge, a force that drove him forward.

He had returned to his homeland, only to find himself in the midst of a cruel and unforgiving environment. The King and the ministers, who had used his brother's sacrifice as a means to further their own ends, had shown no mercy. Seungmin was now filled with a cold resolve, determined to bring justice to those who had wronged him.

---

In the garden the following morning, Minho and Seungmin continued their growing companionship. The kittens had become a shared joy, a symbol of the gentle bond they were forming. Yet, beneath the surface, Seungmin's emotions were in turmoil.

Seungmin found himself drawn to Minho's presence, his heart fluttering with feelings he didn't fully understand. As they walked together, Seungmin's hand occasionally brushed against Minho's, sending shivers through him.

"I've been thinking," Seungmin began, his voice hesitant. "About the future, and what it holds for us."

Minho looked up at him, his expression curious. "What do you envision for yourself?"

Seungmin's eyes met Minho's, and he felt a pang of vulnerability. "I'm not sure yet. There's so much I need to accomplish, and I'm still struggling with my past."

Minho's gaze was gentle, filled with empathy. "You've come a long way. I believe you'll find your path."

Seungmin's heart ached at Minho's words, and he took a deep breath, trying to steady himself. "Thank you, Minho. Your support means a lot to me."

The connection between them was undeniable, and as they continued their walk, Seungmin found solace in Minho's company. Yet, he remains uncertain about his own feelings, elements of how to express them or even fully understand them.

---

This is the third chapter of my story, welcome and enjoy the show.
Let me know if you want to ask anything about my fanfic.