Shadows of Affection

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm, golden hue over the training grounds. Minho stood near the stable, his eyes gleaming with anticipation as he watched Bang Chan lead a pristine white horse towards him. He had admired this horse from afar for weeks, its sleek coat and strong build capturing his heart.

"Here," Bang Chan said, handing the reins to Minho. "She's yours now."

Minho's eyes widened in disbelief, his fingers trembling as he grasped the reins. "For me? I can't believe it."

Bang Chan smiled warmly, his hand resting briefly on Minho's shoulder. "You've earned it. And besides, you need a strong companion for your training."

Minho's shy demeanor took over as he looked down, the weight of Bang Chan's words made him blush. He mounted the horse with practiced ease, but the unfamiliar saddle made him fidget. Bang Chan noticed and approached, helping him adjust his position. As he did, he leaned in close, his breath warm against Minho's ear.

"Relax," Bang Chan said softly, his hand lingering on Minho's back.

Minho almost opened his mouth to complain, but he nodded, trying to focus on the task at hand. He felt Bang Chan's hand steady him, and the moment felt strangely intimate. As the horse trotted forward, Bang Chan jogged alongside, ready to assist at a moment's notice.

Seungmin watched from a distance, hidden behind a tree. His eyes narrowed as he observed the interaction between the two. When Bang Chan lifted Minho from the horse and wiped the sweat from his brow, Minho laughed softly, the sound echoing across the field.

Bang Chan chuckled, his eyes softening as he looked at Minho. "You've got a lot of potential, Minho. But you need to work on your form. Let's train again tomorrow."

Seungmin's chest tightened. He had never seen Minho so at ease with anyone else, not even with his younger brother, Yongbok, who stood nearby, practicing with a bow under Bang Chan's guidance. But it was clear to Seungmin that Bang Chan's attention was focused more on Minho than anyone else.

Bang Chan handed Minho a towel, wiping the sweat from his own brow before playfully tossing it at him. Minho caught it, laughing, his usual shyness melting away in the warmth of Bang Chan's presence.

As Seungmin watched the two of them, a flicker of doubt crossed his mind. Was there something more between them? He had always been careful in his approach to Minho, keeping his feelings hidden beneath layers of politeness and restraint. But seeing Minho so happy with someone else made his chest ache in a way he hadn't anticipated.

He turned away, unwilling to watch any longer. The confusion that had been gnawing at him for days grew stronger. Minho was becoming more than just a part of his revenge plan. But Seungmin knew he had to push those feelings aside.

---

As days passed, Seungmin found himself avoiding Minho. He didn't know what he felt—whether it was jealousy, confusion, or something deeper. But he knew he couldn't let his emotions interfere with his plans. Every time he saw Minho, the warmth in his chest conflicted with the cold purpose he carried within him.

Minho, on the other hand, began to notice the distance. He approached Seungmin one evening, finding him alone in the garden. The air was heavy with the scent of blooming flowers, but the silence between them was more suffocating.

Minho looked up at Seungmin, his voice hesitant. "Have I done something wrong?"

Seungmin stiffened, turning his gaze away. He struggled to find the right words, torn between his growing feelings and the need to keep Minho at a distance. "No, you haven't. It's just..."

Minho stepped closer, his eyes searching Seungmin's face. "Then why have you been avoiding me?"

Seungmin hesitated. How could he explain the turmoil inside him? That every time he saw Minho, he wanted to protect him, even if it meant protecting him from himself?

"I don't want to hurt you," Seungmin finally admitted, his voice barely above a whisper.

Minho frowned, confusion evident in his eyes. "Hurt me? Why would you think that?"

Seungmin didn't respond, the weight of his unspoken thoughts pressing down on him. He couldn't tell Minho the truth—not yet. Not when the stakes were so high.

---

The night of Minho's family dinner arrived, and Seungmin found himself standing outside the grand hall, hidden in the shadows. He had intended to slip in unnoticed, to leave a gift for Minho before the birthday celebration of his began. But as he approached, he heard laughter from within and froze.

Peeking through a small gap, Seungmin's heart clenched at the sight before him. Minho sat at the head of the table, surrounded by his family—his father, and his brother Yongbok, the crown prince of empire,  and even the emperor and empress. But what caught Seungmin's attention was the elderly woman sitting beside Minho, the one who radiated authority even in her old age.

The Crown Prince's grandmother. The woman who had ordered the execution of Seungmin's family. The one responsible for all the pain and suffering he has endured.

Yet here she was, laughing and doting on Minho as if he were her own grandson. Seungmin's hands clenched into fists, his nails digging into his palms as he watched her lean towards Minho, her voice filled with affection.

"Minho," she said, "you must stop being so childish, dear. It's time you prepared for marriage. Look at your brother—he looks older in everyday and you really should accept his proposal as soon as possible. Look at his face filled with so much pressure about everything. 

If we ask some commoner now who he is without royal additions , everyone would answer that he is just a scholar who can't find his own happiness."

Minho pouted, his voice teasing. "But I'm still just a kid, Grandma. Don't you love me anymore? If I don't marry my older brother, will you stop caring for me?"

The old woman chuckled, shaking her head. "Of course not. I love you the most, which is why you need to marry him. I can't stand your brother pestering me every day about how to propose to you."

Minho's face turned crimson as he shot a quick glance at Bang Chan, who looked equally flustered. "Grandma!" he exclaimed, embarrassed.

Seungmin felt his heart shatter at the sight. The warmth and love in that room, the way Minho was cherished—it was everything Seungmin had lost. Everything that had been taken from him. And now, the person he had begun to care for, perhaps even love, was tied to those who had destroyed his life.

As he listened to their conversation, Seungmin's resolve hardened. Minho's place in his revenge plan was now undeniable. No matter how much it hurt, no matter how much he wanted to protect Minho, he knew that this was the only way. Minho had to be a part of his plan. There was no turning back.

---

This is the fourth chapter of my story, welcome and enjoy the show.
Let me know if you want to ask anything about my fanfic.