Chapter 5

I go back to the apartment after my shift. It was 6. 07am too soon to have police sirens shouting like people on Black Friday. Police cars and people surround the apartment complex and only after explaining to an officer that I was a resident did they let me inside. I walk up the stairs to the floor me and Kayla shared an apartment. Kayla and others are surrounded at the doorstep of the apartment opposite to ours.
Kayla turns her gaze to me but I go to the others who have crowed at the door. I look inside and see the dead body of an old lady lying on the floor. Face wide with horror and a dislocated jaw. Her dress is ripped harshly, exposing the skin underneath slashed to have red wounds. I wince at the site and back away.
"What happened?" I ask Kayla.
"Our neighbour was murdered."
"I can see that." I roll my eyes. "I'm asking how."
A police officer starts to shout at the people gathered at the door.
"Back away! Back away!"
"I don't know. She screamed at around five in the morning and someone called the police to report a noise complaint."
"Sounds like most American thing ever." I laugh.
"Oh Andre. I didn't think this would happen."
"It's pronounced André. There's an accent."
I go into our apartment and she soon follows. I close the door.
"You know I'm not good French."
"Just say André." 
"André."
"Ha. It sounds weird when an American says it."
She laughs, surprised of my comment.
"You told me to say and I say it but you make fun to me anyway."
She looks aside, circling the necklace around her forefinger, the blush obvious on her face.
I can't help but smile. She's beautiful like that.
The necklace around her neck is silver and has an Eiffel Tower charm. I'm happy to see that she has on the gift I gave her.
"You should sleep in today."
"It's 6. 17 Kayla, our classes start at 8 and I have to go through some notes before I go."
"We don't have classes today."
"We do."
"A strike is going on downtown, classes have been cancelled because of that."
"That is a shock."
"I know, but if you want to go uptown to an arcade."
"I have to study. I'll be in my room if you need me."