Chapter 7

I don't know but I passed out. Kayla was shaking my shoulders and I awoke.
"Andre!"
"Yes?"
"Oh." She takes my head in her hand and blood spots the top of her finger. "What happened?"
She looks so close to crying, her eyes scared. I didn't think she'd be this close; she's on my lap. The knife is still in the grip of my hand but the blade is rid of the blood that stained it last night. Did I imagine it or something? No. It flung me at a door and I have a wound to show for it. I wince as I try to move my arm. My body is still sore from the throw at it.
"I'll help you up."
She takes my hand and pulls me to stand. Her hands tremble and I can see that she's scared, trying so hard to  not hurt me more than I have been as she helps me to stand. I see the  doorknob on the floor. She must have broken it to get in.
"Oh. . ." She cries.

She brings me to the sofa and runs to grab a cloth. She puts it to the back of my head and holds it. She has a hand on my cheek to hold my head. Those honey eyes full of worry.
"What happened?" She asks.
I don't say anything. I can't even believe what happened, how could she?
"I hallucinated. . ."
I don't belive the answer I spoke because I have a wound to prove an assault. Otherwise, I have hallucinated before. As a child I saw things too real to be fake, and yet all of it was just that: fake. But that was a long time ago.
"You hallucinated?" She repeats, the uncertainty clear in her voice. "Hallucinated what?"
"Something." I push myself to stand off from the sofa. "Something that scared the life out of me."
"Please don't stand." She holds my shoulder. "You're injured. It'll hurt more if you try to move."
"I'm fine."
"You're not."
She sits me back down.
"Whatever you want just tell me I'll get it for you."
"Can you bring me my phone?"
She hurries into my bedroom and comes out, my phone in hand.
"Thank you." I say as she hands it to me.
"I don't think you can go to classes today." Kayla looks at my wound.
"I appreciate your concern but I'm fine. A small bruise is not a good enough reason to skip classes." I say as I scroll through my phone.
"A small bruise? Your blood is in the bathroom. I can stay back to take care of you."
"No. You're going to go to classes. I'm not going to hold you back."
"You're more important than an education degree."
"You're going."
Once I had fallen sick and she had to stay back to take care of me. It happened during my first days in New York. I caught something that made me dizzy and vomit. Back then Kayla and I had barely known each other, just residents at the same apartment building that paid 50/50 for a two bedroom flat. We were strangers. And yet she was still willing to stay and take care of him.
"You're going." I repeat. "And so am I."
That was the decision made. And that day I crashed down a staircase. It hurt. Maybe I should've stayed back.