V

When morning came, the captain crept down the stairs, peeking into the hammock still silently swaying with the waves. Asleep, the girl was almost harmless, save the way her face always looked just a little angry.

The captain bit his lip. How should I wake her? She's going to cut me to pieces if I touch her!

Duna sighed, opening one eye to meet the teeny little man hovering over her. He jumped, clutching his fists to his chest, eyes wide.

"I was going to wake you, but, but I-"

"I was already awake. What do you want?" She asked him, clearing her throat and sitting up.

"Ah, yes, yes, well, we will be arriving by the end of the day, I, um, I think."

"You think?"

"Well yes, ah, wind speed and.. and everything."

Duna rolled her eyes, walking past him and climbing the stairs to the main deck. The sun was high above the horizon, a cloudless sky offering no protection from its vibrant heat. Salty sea air whipped her wavy hair over her shoulders, a small smile pulling at her lips.

"What a gorgeous day." She said aloud.

The captain nervously chuckled behind her. "Agreed, Lady Celys!" He called.

Duna cast her eyes over her shoulder, but let the comment hang. So formal.. she thought with slight distaste.

"Tell me, what kind of work do you think I can find in Neverwinter?" She asked him.

"You mean you don't know?" He replied.

She shot him a silencing look, and he gulped, quickly changing his approach.

"I mean, of course! I'd be happy to tell you!" He tried. "Ah, what are you good at besides killing pirates?"

Duna opened her mouth to retort, but she had no answer. "I.. I don't know. I spent most of my life at my father's estate training for ritual combat and diplomacy.. but the combat has been mostly a tradition-based thing.. and for the Rex trial."

"Gods! So it's true, then?! The royal families really still carry on that legacy?!"

"Yes, unfortunately, the coming of age ceremony for Chultan Royals is facing a Rex calf in combat."

"Were you victorious?!" The captain asked excitedly.

"Also an unfortunate 'yes.'"

The captain waved her off. "Come on, you can't really be upset about a Rex can you? They're terrifying!"

"They happen to be nurturing, defensive parents."

He blinked. "Right.. that's nice. But did you get the tooth? That's the trial champion's prize, is it not?"

"Yes. It's in my bag."

"It may fetch a high price.. would you be interested in-"

"No."

"But-!"

"No."

"Very well." The captain sighed. "To answer your question, I suppose there's no shortage of assassin work.. you know, odds and ends as a mercenary. Lots of people are hiring for different causes. Gangs.. and such.."

"Yikes."

"You could join a cult! They'll put you to work! Let's see.. Cult of the Howling Hatred, Cult of the Dragon, Cult of the Black Earth, Cult of the-"

"I get it. What else?"

"Lots of openings for monster hunting!"

"I thought we had established that I'm not one for killing animals, paid or not."