03 Yearning - His Pov

Montague lay in the shadows of a nearby tree, his gaze fixed intently on Cornelia as she reclined on her princess canopy bed. The morning sun filtered softly through the curtains, casting a gentle golden glow that danced whimsically across her room. He watched as the rays of light played upon her face, warming her skin and casting shadows that flickered like whispers of forgotten love.

He inhaled deeply, the delicate scent of roses from the garden below mingling with the faint aroma of vanilla from her pillow, stirring something deep within him.

The birds' morning serenade reached his ears, their melodies weaving through his thoughts like a comforting lullaby. His fingers traced the handle of the knife hidden in his coat, each touch a tender reminder of the softness he sought out in his heart, a hope that perhaps he could possess Cornelia in a way more intimate than any lover ever could.

Montague's mind wandered through the haze of his memories, lingering on his last moments with his previous victims. He let out a soft sigh, as he lay there, enveloped in the dreamy morning light. He felt a flicker of resolve amidst his sorrow, a quiet resolution to find his way through the shadows into the light once more.

He observed as Cornelia sat up in bed, her movements slow and deliberate. She looked out at the promising day ahead and whispered to herself, "Today, I will find a reason to smile again. There's a world waiting outside these walls, and I intend to meet it with open arms." Her words, so innocent and full of hope, ignited a dark excitement within him.

With determination lighting up her eyes, Cornelia swung her legs over the edge of the bed and stood up. Montague's breath quickened as he watched her straighten her dress, the sunlight catching the simple but elegant garment and making it shimmer. Taking a deep breath, she felt a renewed sense of purpose coursing through her veins.

"I won't let sorrow hold me back," she affirmed quietly, gathering her resolve. "There's a whole town out there, bustling with life and stories to be shared. Today, I shall find my place in it once more."

"Ironic," he thought to himself.

Montague followed her every move with a predator's patience. He watched as she swiftly descended the stairs of her family's manor, each confident step carrying her further from his grasp. She strode delicately on the small rocked path leading from the estate toward town, winding trees surrounding her. The cool breeze carried the scent of early blooms, and as she walked, the town gradually came alive around her.

The morning sunlight bathed the streets in a golden hue, casting long shadows from the quaint shops and bustling market stalls. Montague trailed behind, blending into the background, a silent shadow. The air was alive with the sounds of vendors calling out their wares and the chatter of townsfolk greeting each other.

Cornelia greeted familiar faces with a warm smile and received friendly nods in return. She passed by the bakery, where the aroma of freshly baked bread mingled with the sweet scent of pastries, seemed to be tempting her senses.

With each step, Cornelia's anticipation built, but Montague's grew darker. He was eager to immerse himself in the vibrant energy of the town, to explore its winding streets, and discover the simple joys that awaited him. Today, he was determined to find moments of connection amidst the familiar surroundings, to get closer to Cornelia.

As she turned a corner, Montague positioned himself strategically, stepping out from the shadows as if by chance. "Oh!" Cornelia exclaimed, startled as she stumbled back slightly. Her heart skipped a beat as she recognized him.

Montague steadied her with a gentle hand on her arm, his crystal-thimble eyes sparkling with amusement as he smiled warmly at her. "My apologies, Miss Cornelia. I seem to have a knack for surprising you."