THE REAL NIGHTMARE

Talia searched the house for Jason and Amara while Bisa took a moment to play like the ten year - old she was. Masara lugged bags back and forth until she grabbed the final one.

"Hey kiddo, you good out here?"

Bisa blew bubbles, giggling as a few tickled her skin. "Yes, I'm fine."

"Yell, if you need me. I'll be in the kitchen, okay?"

Bisa nodded before chasing a butterfly around the side of the house. Inside, Talia joined the efforts to put away groceries, mumbling under her breath as she did.

"What's got you worked up?"

Talia, lay down a bag of fruit, staring out of the patio doors before responding.

"They're not here. The car is, but both Jason and Amara are gone. No note or anything."

"So?"

"So, they barely made it home before sunrise, and now they're gone again without an explanation?"

Marsara offered. "Call them."

"Her phone is on her bedside table and Jason's not answering. I'm getting worried."

"About what? Two grown people spending time together? Is that worry or jealousy?"

Talia glared, then stormed to the fridge. Masara chuckled, realizing she struck a nerve.

"Look, if they aren't back soon, I'll scan the woods. Even though I'm sure they're fine."

"Yeah, well, I don't share your sentiments. But I would appreciate it if you could locate them. We don't need to add any more people to the missing person's list. Speaking of which, has Bisa mentioned anything else about Jema?"

"Actually, no." Masara replied. "Maybe it's because she could see the happy ending."

"Maybe, I just don't want her to get her hopes up. Between the elements and Shadows, it'll truly be a miracle if her vision comes to fruition."

Masara stood next to Talia, reaching towards her forehead as she asked. "Are you okay? Your vibe is super pessimistic today."

"I'm fine." She fanned away the palm coming towards her. "Somebody has to be a voice of reason and reality around here."

"Leave me out of both of those. Being delusional is my favorite pastime."

"You can't stick your head in the ground all the time, Masara. Life's going to have its ups and downs no matter what."

"Not in my world." She snatched an apple from the fresh stock of fruit, bit into it. Then smiled and walked away.

***

Bisa grew bored of bubbles and butterflies. The trickles of a distant stream garnered much more curiosity than her wisdom could contain. Turning back towards the house, she could see Masara walking towards the family room and Talia pacing around the kitchen.

"I'll be back before they know I'm gone."

She spoke out loud, attempting to give herself permission to do what she knew could be dangerous and wrong. Sighing, she took a step towards the tree line, telling herself that if they yelled her name, she would abort her mission.

The second step wider than the first, Bisa held her breath, waiting for the call to come. Silence ensued. Giggling, she began skipping along a worn path and further from the cabin. When she finally grew brave enough to look back, all she could see were trees and bushes. The comforting sound of the river grew louder, drawing her towards its presence. Bisa picked up a stick, poked the dense grass now before her, then took a step closer to her mischievous goal.