SHADOW GAMES

Masara and Amara finished dinner, working in unison to tidy up. Greg sat on the couch petting K-jack while playing UNO with Bisa. Masara nudged Amara's shoulder as they stood in front of the sink.

"So." She whispered. "Greg seems nice."

Amara shrugged.

"And those roses are beau...ti..ful. Does he have a brother because I'm loving the romantic vibes he's sending your way." 

Masara giggled. Amara sighed before leaning back on the counter. 

"What do you want."

"Excuse me?"

"You're standing here chatting about my husband as though I didn't just meet you twenty-four hours ago. I don't know, and you don't know me. So, what is it. What do you want?"

Masara raised her hands in surrender. 

"I was just making conversation and now, I'm not." She dropped her hands, then strolled to the opposite side of the kitchen.

Amara closed her eyes and bowed her head. The image of her mother in the forest popped into her mind.  She had heard Ashan's words loud and clear, but initially didn't have time to  properly process them. In all the excitement of the injury she caused Talia and Greg's surprise visit, the much needed conversation the sister's needed to have about what their mother had said was put on hold. But now, everything that had transpired began to trouble her immensely. She raised her head towards the ceiling, then released an intentionally gruff sigh before turning to face Masara. She huffed, then proclaimed through gritted teeth.

"I apologize for snapping at you."

Masara's brow arched as she pointed to herself.

"Yes, you. I shouldn't be taking my frustrations out on a guest in my home." Amara replied as she attempted to stifle her discontent.

Masara muttered. "Or anybody for that matter, but that's neither here nor there." She then smiled across the island before declaring even louder, "I accept your apology."

Amara bit the inside of her cheek before responding. "Good, but for the record, conversations about Greg are off limits."

"Understood." Masara chuckled as she sniffed the roses she had placed in a crystal vase on the corner of the kitchen island. "So, no brothers, then."

Amara sucked her teeth, then pressed her lips.

"Okay, okay, off limits. Got it." Masara peered into the family room. "So, you wanna join in on this epic UNO showdown?"

Amara answered. "Sure, but I'm siding with the kid."

Masara joked. "Which one?"

Both pointing to Bisa, their matching smiles sealed the deal on an unspoken truce before they left the kitchen.

***

Talia joined the rest of the house guests as they all became fully invested in their game. She pulled K-jack into her lap, then offered a smirk to Greg across the coffee table. Greg, postured one in return.

"It's good to see you, Talia. The way my wife presented when I arrived, I was worried you needed a transfusion."

"Amara told you I was fine, and I am. I'm also confused as to why you're here."

"To see my wife." He answered with a tinge of contempt.

"After more than six months? Did you forget you even had one?" Talia challenged.

Amara shook her head, squinting as she clenched her jaw. Talia angled herself away from her sister's inauspicious glare. 

Feeling the intentional attack, Greg's response was curt. "Maybe I was taking time for myself, the way you took time away from reality."