Chapter 1

One year later, Sora an 13 year-old is rummaging in Mechon scraps at the to look for materials useful to when she is attacked by a Karbble, Kotaro a close friend of her, saves her and the two return to Colony 9. 

Kotaro heads back to the Defence Force, as his break has ended and "Square tache" (Vangarre, the colonel of the Colony 9 Defence Force) would not be pleased with him if he was late. Sora returns to the weapon development Lab, where she finds Dickson waiting, having just returned from a journey away. The two discuss the Monado's capabilities, both having been researching it, until Dickson tells Sora to go outside for fresh air. Sora agrees, and heads up to Outlook Park .

Meanwhile, Ikaruga  brings food for her older brother - Murasame - to eat. Murasame is only just able to feed himself, but remains resolute that if the Mechon attack again he will need to take up the Monado again, much to Ikaruga's distress. Ikaruga then sets off to bring food for Sora to the lab, but is intercepted by Dickson, who informs her that Sora is not at the lab. Ikaruga thanks him and walks to Outlook Park. 

Ikaruga finds Sora sitting on one of the park benches, looking over the land and water below. She gives her a sandwich and the two talk for a while, before falling debris from above forces them to return to the colony. This is because the Anti-Air Batteries, which destroy the wreckage, do not cover Outlook Park. 

Upon returning to the lab, they encounter Kotaro just as he picks up the Monado out of curiosity. The blade activates and swings wildly and uncontrollably around the room, scouring several machines and bisecting one before hitting Ikaruga directly. However, the Monado cannot damage Homs, and deactivates rather than harm her. Ikaruga is shaken and angry when Sora expresses worry over damage to the Monado more than potential harm to her, although Sora brushes this off. Kotaro explains that he came to the lab looking for Sora to ask her to go with him to Mag mell Ruins to obtain Ether Cylinders for the only Mobile Artillery unit in Colony 9. It had crashed into a row of houses in the Residential District, and all the ether leaked out in the accident. Sora agrees, and the two head to Tephra Cave.

Ikaruga greets them at the entrance, smiling as she throws Ether containers at the two of them. Embarrassed, the two allow Ikaruga to join them as they battle their way through Tephra Cave. After arriving at the Mag Mell Ruins, the three talk briefly before continuing on. After they go outside into a beautiful plain overlooking the whole of Colony 9, the three head to the Cylinder Hanger.

After Kotaro has collected the ether, the trio are attacked by two strange machines, although they are not Mechon. After defeating them, a siren sounds. The three rush outside to witness a horde of Mechon descending upon Colony 9.