Chapter 2

The Anti-Air Batteries shoot at the Mechon, but one is immediately destroyed when a attacks it. Sora, Kotaro, and Ikaruga head back to Colony 9 to help. Murasame is shown limping out of his bed while clutching his right arm in pain.

At the Main Entrance, the three are attacked by a Mechon. Ikaruga rushes inside to check on Murasame while Sora and Kotaro engage the enemy. After they disable it, Ikaruga tells them that she cannot find Murasame. Sora, knowing that he may have gone to the Monado, runs to the lab with Kotaro and Ikaruga in time to see the the Defence Force are desperately trying to fight off the invasion and losing. Vangarre yells at his retreating troops to continue fighting, but then a new Mechon arrives. He laughs nervously at the Mechon, disturbed by its face, before blasting it with his gun. The weapon does no damage, and Metal Face throws a vehicle at him, blocking the entrance to the lab. Kotaro swears revenge on the Mechon for his fellow soldiers' deaths. They remember the Mobile Artillery unit in the Residential District, and run to refuel it - if they use it to blow up the debris, then they can go inside the lab. 

At the crossroads, however, they are cut off by a large group of Mechon. Sora tells Ikaruga to run ahead to refuel the artillery while she and Kotaro distract the Mechon. Ikaruga, at first, refuses, but then agrees and escapes. After a short battle, the decoration from above falls and blocks off the short route to where Ikaruga is. Kotaro is then attacked from behind and is almost eaten by a Mechon; Sora tries in vain to save her friend, and Murasame rushes in to save them, Monado in hand. He easily defeats all of the enemies, and then the three set off after Ikaruga.

When they reach the Main Entrance, Murasame is suddenly attacked by a violent rush of pain and falls to the ground. The Monado falls a few feet in front of him, stopping halfway along the bridge. He reaches out for it, despite Kotaro and Sora's protests, but then coughs up blood and collapses. A group of Mechon march up to them from the other side, and Sora rushes forward to grab the Monado. It glows in her hands, and then she sees a Vision of a Mechon's laser striking her. She dodges the blow, having seen it, and defeats all of the Mechon with ease. The two other men stand up, and the three defeat the rest of the Mechon with the aid of Sora's new ability to see the future and wield the Monado without pain.

They hurry to the Residential District, stopping when they come face-to-face with the Metal Faced Mechon. As even the Monado cannot damage it, it easily defeats them, and the three are knocked prone. Just as the Metal Face is about to deal the finishing blow, it is blasted in the back by Ikaruga, piloting the mobile artillery unit. Sora suddenly sees a vision of her being killed, and shouts at her to run away. However, she refuses to listen and continues to attack. Metal Face slices off an arm of the machine, but Ikaruga continues forward to shoot Metal Face point black, finally damaging its face - but not killing it. The mobile artillery is knocked backward by the force of the blast, and Metal Face is able to pick it up from the ground, swing it into a building, and then skewer Ikaruga with its claws, killing her.

Sora, blinded with rage, screams in anger and rushes forward to attack the Mechon. It defeats them again, but flies off after the other Mechon begin to retreat, leaveing the three to deal with the loss of Ikaruga.

The next day, Sora sits again in Outlook Park, overlooking Colony 9 as she thinks. Kotaro joins her, and they discuss the attack - Sora has already spoken to Murasame, who told Sora that he would not cry, and that Sora should "treasure the gift of life that Ikaruga has given [her]". Sora tells Kotaro that she wants to pursue Metal Face and destroy it, and Kotaro agrees, although he thought that Sora would try to talk him out of it. They agree to head to Colony 6, since it is the only other colony left and they may have more information on the Mechon. The two head off, and Murasame watches them from his window, promising himself to join them as soon as his arm heals. Dickson smirks, watching unseen from a wall nearby.