Chapter 10

In the Audience Chamber, Judal tells the assembled ministers that Claire will ascend the throne in one year, and until then he shall assume imperial duties as regent. Loritia proposes a round-table discussion on strategy concerning the Mechon.

Back in Whitewing Palace, Sora and Kotaro tell the others about Ikaruga. Sora, troubled that Ikaruga did not recognize them, leaves to find Murasame. Murasame tells her it is unsettling, but he is happy to know she is still alive and they must help her to remember.

Judal summons the party to tell them of his plan to form an allied army and asks them to present this plan to the Homs and Nopon, but Sora requests time to think it over. The party returns to their quarters, where Claire encourages Sora to go find Ikaruga, saying she will stay to help assemble the army. Judal interrupts their departure and asks Claire to go with Sora, introducing a woman who will serve as Claire's stand-in during her absence. Judal relays a report that the silver-faced Mechon fled to Galahad Fortress in Sword Valley. Akise tells them they must travel down to reach Sword Valley, and he will accompany them as a guide as he is familiar with the mountain. A short-range pod takes them to Makna Forest, where they reach the passage to Valak Mountain.

In Galahad Fortress, Face Nemesis undergoes repairs while Meyneth remarks that Zanza is still alive. She ponders why he took the risk of releasing the Monado's restraints. She finds that she is experiencing feelings for Sora, and decides she must see her again. Metal Face sees her leave, and remembers that she is Murasame's sister.

.

The party proceeds down Valak Mountain, stopping to rest in Ose Tower. Akise explains that the Monado had been locked away there until it was found by the Homs, and that his and Sora's ability to see the future was acquired by touching the Monado, which can change the future by disrupting the ether upon which their world is based.

Continuing down to the base of the mountain, they are confronted by Ikaruga inside Face Nemesis. She still does not remember them, and addresses Sora as"Heirless to the Monado", saying she wishes to talk to her. They are interrupted by the arrival of Metal Face, who shoots Nemesis to disable it and demands the Monado in exchange for Ikaruga's life. He complies, and Metal Face's chest opens, revealing the pilot to be none other than Mumkhar.

Murasame demands he answer why he attacked Colony 9, to which Mumkhar says is because it was Murasame's home. Murasame charges straight for him, but Mumkhar remote controls Metal Face to aim a claw at Ikaruga's neck, threatening her life. He then demands they surrender the Monado - which Sora does - and beg, but Claire blasts Mumkhar and Metal Face with an ether attack, knocking Metal Face down and the Monado out of Mumkhar's hand, which Sora takes back. Mumkhar then releases his claws and engages the group in battle.

Partway through the fight, a volley of Mass-Produced Faces drop from the sky as well as a giant golden Mechon, and the pilot says that it is the strongest Mechon built, and introduces himself as Egil, the creator of the Faced Mechon, leader of Mechonis, and agent of Meyneth. Sora then demands he answer why he puts Homs in the Mechon, however Egil brushes her off and leaves with Mumkhar and Ikaruga.