Chapter Forty-Four

"Himself and Cumberbabe have just arrived." Max reported as she came into the room at Chandos House where I was preparing. I smiled to myself, thinking she would have to get used to calling Ben by his real name once she began working for Sophie.

"How does he look?" I asked her.

"As sexy as ever," was her reply and I choked out a laugh, looking at her with my brows raised.

"Oh! You mean Tom!" she giggled, making me laugh again. "He looks fine. A little nervous maybe."

I know that feeling.

"How are you doing Boss?"

"A dash of liquid courage wouldn't go astray," I told her, knowing she'd hear the faint tremor in my voice.

"I'm on it!" She disappeared out the door again, returning a few minutes later with a bottle of champagne and three glasses, Abby right behind her.

The make-up artist had already been and Jackie the hairdresser was now working her magic on my unruly curls. Ben arrived with a note from Tom when she was half way through; I tore it open with hands shaking slightly to find a short quote from King Lear. It read, 'I love you more than words can wield the matter, dearer than eyesight, space and liberty.'

The flood of warmth created by those few words achieved what the champagne hadn't; my nerves were instantly calmed. I quickly penned a reply, unable to keep a smile from my face. My quote was from The Tempest. 'I would not wish any companion in the world but you.' Ben gave me a smile and a wink then was gone again.

Max left too, saying she didn't want to see me until I walked down the aisle and Abby got into her dress as my hair was finished. The dusky pink strapless chiffon looked stunning with her blonde hair and soft complexion and I drew in my breath."Oh Abbs! You look beautiful!"

We admired my finished hair – Jackie had somehow managed to give me large, soft curls swept up and held at the back, with tiny twinkling rhinestones dotted throughout

We admired my finished hair – Jackie had somehow managed to give me large, soft curls swept up and held at the back, with tiny twinkling rhinestones dotted throughout. The finishing touch was a beaded floral comb tucked in to the side of my up-do, as I hadn't wanted to wear a veil. I thanked Jackie profusely before she packed up her tools and left.

Abby helped me slip into the ivory beaded-lace over tulle A-line gown, laughing at how thankful she was she didn't have to do up all the covered buttons at the back as they extended the entire length of my dress, even to the end of my chapel-length train. The softness of the tulle felt heavenly against my skin where it fitted snugly over bust, waist and hips and as I twirled in front of the mirror like a little girl trying on a Princess dress, I loved the swishing sound of the fabric. The beaded lace overlay added only a little weight to the gown; it still felt as soft and light as down and I could smell faint hints of Obsession, the perfume I'd been wearing the last time I had tried it on.

 The beaded lace overlay added only a little weight to the gown; it still felt as soft and light as down and I could smell faint hints of Obsession, the perfume I'd been wearing the last time I had tried it on