Part 4 Phone Call

The Meeting with Brigadier Saurabh Singh

Kanishka arrived at the office of Brigadier Saurabh Singh, carrying a neatly organized folder with all the details about her project to help disabled cadets. She had done her homework, meticulously gathering all the necessary data and proposals, and was eager to discuss the initiative with the Brigadier, hoping he would see the value in her work.

Brigadier Saurabh Singh: (standing up to greet her) "Dr. Bhardwaj, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I've heard a lot about your project."

Kanishka: (smiling warmly as she shakes his hand) "Thank you, Brigadier. It’s an honor to meet someone with your experience and dedication to our country. I’m really excited to discuss the project with you."

They both sat down, and Kanishka began to outline her vision.

Kanishka: "The project is aimed at providing support to cadets who are dismissed on health grounds during their training. These are individuals who have dedicated themselves to serving the nation, but due to unforeseen circumstances, their dreams are cut short. I believe they deserve more than just a pat on the back—they deserve opportunities to reintegrate into society with dignity, whether through employment, further education, or rehabilitation."

Brigadier Saurabh Singh: (nodding thoughtfully) "It’s an admirable goal, Dr. Bhardwaj. The challenges these cadets face are immense. Society often forgets their sacrifices once they’re out of the spotlight. What’s your plan for funding this project?"

Kanishka: "I’ve been working on securing funding from various NGOs, and I’m also in talks with corporate sponsors who are interested in supporting veterans and military personnel. However, to make this initiative sustainable, I’m proposing a partnership with the government and military, to create a dedicated fund that will be supplemented by private donations and corporate social responsibility (CSR) contributions."

Brigadier Saurabh Singh: (leaning back in his chair, considering) "That’s an ambitious plan, but it’s not without merit. The key will be showing results early on, to build trust with investors and the public. We need to ensure that the funds are used efficiently and that the cadets receive real, tangible benefits."

Kanishka: "Absolutely, sir. I’ve already started working with a few retired officers who are helping me design the program. But your insight and support would be invaluable. I understand you’re well-connected and have seen firsthand what these cadets go through."

Brigadier Saurabh Singh: "I’ll do what I can, Dr. Bhardwaj. But we need to be prepared for bureaucratic hurdles and resistance from those who don’t see the immediate financial benefit. I’d like you to come to my home this Saturday, where we can discuss this further. I’ll have some of my colleagues join us as well. If we’re going to push this forward, we need all the support we can get."

Kanishka: (nodding) "I understand, sir. I’ll be there on Saturday. Thank you for your time and your willingness to help. Together, I believe we can make a difference."

They exchanged a few more words before Kanishka left, feeling optimistic yet aware of the challenges ahead. She knew that this project would require not just her business acumen but also a deep well of persistence and determination.

The Night at Sakshi’s Home

Later that evening, after a long day of meetings and discussions, Kanishka got a call from Sakshi to spend a night at her home. Finally she made her way to Sakshi’s new home. It was 10 PM by the time she arrived, and Sakshi greeted her with a big hug.

Sakshi: (grinning) "Finally! I thought you’d never make it. Come on in, I’ve got something special cooked up for us."

Kanishka: (smiling tiredly) "You always know how to make me feel at home, Sakshi. What’s on the menu tonight?"