Chapter 12

When Artemis began to stir, the drowsiness from the potion slowly lifting, she noticed the familiar faces around her bed

When Artemis began to stir, the drowsiness from the potion slowly lifting, she noticed the familiar faces around her bed. It was already late in the afternoon, a bit before dinner. Remus was still sleeping. Chris sat beside her, looking more relieved than she had ever seen him. James and Peter were standing a bit farther off, their expressions a mixture of concern and curiosity. But it was Sirius, leaning casually against the bedpost with his arms crossed, who caught her attention.

"Well, well, Sleeping Beauty finally wakes up," Sirius drawled, a playful smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. "I was starting to think you were going to sleep through the rest of the school year."

Artemis rolled her eyes, her voice still groggy. "You wish, Sirius. Someone has to keep you in check, and I'm not about to leave that responsibility to James."

James feigned offense, clutching his chest dramatically. "Hey, what's that supposed to mean?"

"It means," Artemis said, giving Sirius a pointed look, "that I can't trust you two to behave without proper supervision. Merlin knows what kind of trouble you'd get into."

Sirius grinned, leaning closer. "Trouble? Us? You wound me, Artemis. We're perfect angels."

"Perfect angels who've been banned from the kitchens for a month," Chris chimed in, raising an eyebrow.

Sirius laughed, unrepentant. "That was an accident. How was I supposed to know that fireworks don't mix well with treacle tart?"

Artemis chuckled despite herself, shaking her head. "You're impossible."

"And you're the only one who's managed to survive without sleep for two days straight," Sirius shot back, a hint of admiration in his tone. "Seriously though, try not to do that again, alright? We kind of like having you around."

Artemis softened at his words, a small smile playing on her lips. "I'll try my best."

Before Sirius could respond with another quip, Chris leaned in protectively. "For once he's right," Chris said, his voice firm. "You should have called for me, Princess. You know I'm here to keep you safe."

Artemis sighted, her smile fading slightly as she met Chris's concerned gaze. "I know, Chris. I just... didn't want to bother anyone."

Chris shook his head, his expression softening but still serious. "It's not a bother, my Princess. It's my duty. And more than that, I care about what happens to you."

Sirius's smirk faded as he watched the interaction. His fingers tightened slightly where they rested on his arms, his brows knitting together. He couldn't deny the growing sense of agitation. Sirius didn't like this at all, how Chris spoke to her, how close they seemed.

"He's got a point, you know. You don't have to handle everything on your own," interjected James.

Artemis glanced over at James, who had been quietly watching the exchange, his usual playful demeanour replaced with genuine concern. When James found her gaze, he offered a small, reassuring smile, but there was an unmistakable seriousness in his eye. However, the moment was interrupted by Madam Pomfrey, who bustled over with her usual brisk efficiency.