Chapter 1

Chapter 1 ~Vacation~

It was a hot day in the summer of 1977. The royal family of England  just returned from their trip to the south of Italy, where they stayed in a luxurious villa near the Tyrrhenian Sea.

Artemis, the youngest of the family, sat with er eyes closed at the edge of the pond that connected to the palace gardens. She lazily made circles in the cool water with her bare feet, savouring the sun's warm rays on her body. She let herself fall back onto the grass, her long curly, raven-black hair fanning out from her high ponytail. The little birds chirped a happy melody, and in moments like these, she felt completely carefree. No obligation, no rules - these were the moments the little princess cherished, allowing herself to relax. As she stared at the clouds, she relived the times she and her siblings played without a care in the world. It was a time when she could escape her royal obligations.

Around half past six Artemis left the pond and made her way to her room. Her evening dress, a simple yet elegant royal blue, awaited her on the queen sized bed. Inside her maids Mary, Lila and Lucy were engrossed in a card game. They paused, rising to make curtsy as Artemis entered.

'Good evening princess Artemis,' Mary, the eldest, greeted her with a respectful nod. Lucy, the second oldest, added, 'How may we assist you, princess?'

Artemis smiled and replied, 'Good evening girls. Could you help me get ready for dinner, please?'

'Of course, Princess Artemis. It would be our pleasure,' Mary said while Lucy and Lia nodded in agreement. 'Girls, please, how many times must I tell you? Please call me Artemis if it's just us,' she said, giggling.

'Apologies, Artemis,' Mary said with a stern glance at the others, before turning back to Artemis with a soft smile.

After being dressed and her hair braided by Lucy, Artemis listened to her maids chatter about the latest gossip and favourite guards. When the clock struck seven, Artemis made her way to the dining room. Her parents and brother Ares were already seated. She greeted her family with kisses on their cheeks.

'Good evening mother, father, Ares,' she said warmly. 'Hello my dearest sister,' Ares responded with his usual charming smile. Despite being five years older, there bond was strong.

'I am your only sister Ar,' she said rolling her eyes playfully. 'That is just a detail.' Ares laughed. 'What did you do today darling?' Queen Victoria asked. 'I spent some time at the pond, just relaxing.' Artemis replied.

Dinner passed quickly, with er father and Ares discussing a meeting they had earlier that day. With them work never stopped. After what happened to Hades, Ares is now the heir to the throne. In a few years, Ares would become King of England.

After the meal, Artemis wandered the castle corridors, eventually stopping in front of her fathers office she took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

'Please come in,' came King Charles' voice.

Artemis opened the door and stepped inside. Her fathers face lit up with a smile. 'My little girl,' he said. 'Dad I'm not little anymore,' Artemis protested gently.

'You will always be my little girl,' he said. King Charles had like many others a soft spot for the princess. Artemis giggled, holding her hand before her mouth. 'I was hoping to talk to you about something.'

Charles nodded, 'What is it? What is on your mind?'

'I know you are not keen on the idea of me going to Hogwarts, but I really want to go.'

'Artemis we have discussed this before. You know my reasons for not wanting you to go. It is not happening! Absolutely not, I won will not allow it,' King Charles said firm.

Artemis was not going to leave like that. 'Please, dad you don't understand. I have been stuck in this castle my whole life. I have always obeyed every little thing. I don't even have friends, dad.'

King Charles looked troubled. 'Of course you have friends darling. What about Esmeralda from Spain and Mariana from Portugal. They are your friends no?' 'That is exactly the problem, dad. My only friends are thousands of kilometres away. The only time I see them is only once every two years. It is not fair.' Her frustration boiled over, and tears began to fall.

Charles moved to stand in front of her, gently cupping her face in his hands. 'I am so sorry about James. I truly am, we are. We just want to keep you safe-'

Artemis interrupted, her voice quivering, 'I know you want to keep me save, but I want to experience life like everyone else. I want to be normal. I- I want to go to Hogwarts. I want to explore were mum when to school. I want to experience it for myself.'

Charles studied her tear-streaked face, his hearth aching. He felt like a horrible father in that moment. 'The thing is, you will never be 'normal', and that is okay. But I will talk with your mother, and maybe, just maybe, we can find a way for you to go to Hogwarts.'

Artemis eyes lit up with hope. 'Thant you dad. I love you.'

'I love you to my darling,' Charles said, pulling her into a tight embrace. They held each other for a few more moments before Artemis pulled away.

'Now it is late you should go to bed,' Charles said gently.

'Good night dad,' Artemis said kissing his cheek before heading to her room.

♛ ♛

~23/08/2018~
Edited: 30/07/2024