Chapter 2

Chapter 2 ~Preparations~

A week passed and Artemis still didn't know if she could go. She got more anxious each day. The princess had spent a restless night, her thoughts tangled around her plea from a week ago.

At breakfast, the mood of the royal table was somewhat subdued. Queen Victoria, always the epitome of grace, noticed her daughters quiet demeanour. 'Is everything alright darling?' she inquired gently.

Artemis forced a smile 'Yes mother, Just thinking about things.
Her parents exchanged a glance, and Queen Victoria's eyes softened. 'Your father and I had many long discussions passed week about your request.'

Artemis's hearth skipped a beat. 'And..?' she prompted, her voice barely a whisper.

King Charles clears his throat. 'We understand how important this is to you. It was not an easy decision for us, but we want to consider what's best for you and your future.'

Artemis pulse quickened. 'What have you decided?'

Queen Victoria reached across the table and took Artemis's hand. 'Your father and I have agreed that you may attend Hogwarts, but with a few conditions. We need to insure your safety and maintain your privacy. We have already talked it over with professor Dumbledore.'

The princess face lit up with joy. 'Really? What conditions?'

♛ ♛

A month had passed since Artemis had been granted permission to attend Hogwarts, her days were filled with a mix of painting, reading and preparing for her new adventure. Her brother had traveled to France to visit his girlfriend, Brielle Bellmont, leaving Artemis to navigate her last days before departure mostly on her own.

As September first approached Artemis got more and more nervous. Luckily the day before her departure, Ares returned home to bid his sister farewell. The siblings had always, and despite their age differences, they could talk about anything and everything.

In the early morning light, Artemis woke up at five o'clock, too excited and nervous to go back to sleep. She sipped on a hot cup of tea and leafed through one of her favourite books Alice in wonderland. Her nerves were evident to those who knew her well, but her outward calm betrayed none of the tumult she felt inside.

At ten minutes before breakfast, Lila one of her maids, came to help. 'Princess Artemis, it is time for your breakfast,' she said.

'Thank you Lila,' Artemis replied. As Lila and the other maids, Mary and Lucy, gathered Artemis belongings for transport downstairs, Mary's eyes shimmered with unshed tears. She had been with Artemis since she was a little baby, caring for her in the absence of her parents.

'Oh Mary don't cry. I will be back for Christmas,' Artemis said, pulling her into a tight hug.

Mary managed a teary smile. 'You have always been like a daughter to me. I will miss you you dear.'

'Group hug,' Lila chimed in, and the four of them embraced, sharing a bittersweet moment.

I really must go now. Father doesn't like it when I'm late,' Artemis said trying to lighten the mood.

As she walked towards the dining room, the guards on patrol greeted her with nods and smiles. She entered a room where her parents awaited.

'Good morning,' Artemis greeted them.

'Good morning darling. Did you sleep well?' Queen Victoria asked her with concern. 'If your second guessing-' Her daughter interrupted her quickly. 'No mum I want to go and I slept like an angle.' Though the truth was she had barely slept, plagued by a recurring nightmare that had been haunting her for years.

After breakfast, Artemis took a quiet walk trough the royal gardens. The garden was filled with with an array of colourful flowers; African lilies, alstroemerias, azaleas, begonias, bluebells, camellias and cornflowers. The sweet scent reminded her of her grandmother, Mathilda, who had worked as a doctor in a muggle hospital despite being from a pure-blood family. Artemis had always admired her grandmother and dreamed of following in her footsteps. Since she was young Artemis wanted to study medicine at university.

'Artie, there you are! I have been looking everywhere for you.' It was Ares. 'Brother dearest,' Artemis began. 'You should know to start you search here. Nine out of ten, I'm in the garden.'

'That's not true, you could be anywhere.' Ares replied with a teasing grin. 'Yesterday I looked here first, but you weren't around.'

'That was the one time out of ten,' Artemis said with a laugh.

Ares's smile fated as he grew serious. 'I just wanted to say goodbye before you leave.'

Artemis looked into his ocean-blue eyes, which betrayed his sadness despite his attempt to stay composed. She could always see through his emotions. 'Oh Ar,' she said trowing herself into his arms for a hug. 'I'm not leaving you forever. I will visit during Christmas and we can meet-up at Hogsmeade. It is only for a year.'

'I know Artie,' Ares said hugging her tightly. 'But how can I protect you when I'm not there!?'

'You don't need to protect me,' Artemis said gently. 'I can handle things myself.'

'I know you can. I- I promised Hades we would- that I would protect you forever and always.'

'I- I love you Ar, please, please don't leave me too. I miss him so much.' Artemis said with teary eyes. Ares kissed her temple. 'I love you too, Artemis. I love you too.'

♛ ♛
~25/08/2018~
Edited: 30/07/2024