Awakening

Zolan = Chan
Syrex = Seungmin
Seyvon = Minho
Ronan = Jisung
Drystan = Changbin
Isolde = Chaeryeong
Zayyan = Hyunjin
__________________________________

New York, Presbyterian Hospital

“How is he?” Ronan got up from his chair and followed the doctor like a lost child in the supermarket.

“We’re doing all we can. He hit his head. We’ll keep him under supervision.” The doctor tried to give a simple plain answer in order not to worry the man in front of him.

Ronan, however, knew what that meant. He heard it before when his captain would try to keep the critical condition of one of his men under the light shade of hope.

The navy soldier slid down the wall and grabbed his hair, his chin pressing into his chest as soft silent sobs escaped his mouth.

Syrex watched the pathetic view and went to sit down on the cold floor, next to the crying boy. His hand sneaked around the other’s shoulder and waited for him to accept his embrace. Ronan stopped to take a deep breath before burying his face in Syrex’s chest.

“I’m sorry, Ron… I’m so sorry for what I’ve done to you. I wanted him to see me. I thought once he was done, we would have had the life he promised me. But he kept obsessing over the crown. I wanted the kingdom to see him like I saw him. I was an idiot. I don’t deserve forgiveness.” Syrex bit his bottom lip to maintain his composure.

“It’s alright. I would have done the same for Seyvon. If I am to lose him now, I can’t lose my best friend too.” He squeezed the younger’s waist harder, trembling in his arms.

Drystan kept his eyes on Agatha who felt the guilt crimpling under her skin and invading her veins, poisoning her system.

“You’re not to blame.” Zolan placed his hand on top of hers.

She smiled at him before noticing Joengin behind the oldest. Jealousy was the last thing she needed at that exact moment.

“I know. It’s her fault!” Agatha turned to her sister who was getting comfortable in the white plastic chair.

“At least learn to accept your mistakes, Aggie.” Isolde scoffed.

“Why are you even here?” Agatha clenched her fist, trying to keep herself calm.

“That man is my master, remember? I need him to stay alive so I can use…” Isolde went pale as she looked at her black magic fading into thin air. “…his magic.”

The two sisters looked at each other in horror as they rushed to the patient’s room.

Seyvon was laying in the bed, covered in sweat and hanging on a thread of life.

“Shit…” was all that escaped Agatha’s lips.

“Do something!” Isolde nudged her with her elbow.

Agatha searched desperately with her gaze for help. She locked eyes with Drystan who understood her demand without needing to hear her articulate it. He kept the others outside the room while the redhead gathered all three sources of magic in her arms, pushed the energy to her palms and into her fingers. Then she gave part of her energy to the injured to help him regenerate.

Isolde watched the scene, checking constantly her magic. She had worked too much for him to die on her and take the power with him to the grave. Whether she liked it or not, she wished for Agatha to succeed.

Her twin tried her best to ignore Isolde’s presence in the room and proceeded to cast the spell, pushing herself harder to finish it. For the sake of her plan. For the glory. For the life she could receiver if she were to win the second war. For the mistakes she could fix. For the blood on her hands she could wash away if she just became the hero. She would finally have a home. A family. For that dream she pushed her limits and didn’t stop until even the slightest of the scratches faded off Seyvon’s body.

Drystan opened the door and went straight to the witch to catch her as she fell to the floor.

“I’m here, I’m here.” He said, covering her from the plain sight with his large body.

“Did it work?” Ronan asked, feeling his heart dropping to his stomach.

“It did.” Isolde smirked as her black magic reappeared.

Seyvon’s eyes opened slowly. His head turned towards Ronan and his hand reached to hold the younger’s.

Ronan walked to the bed and felt Seyvon’s weak grip on his hand, making circles with his thumb on the back of the younger’s palm.

Alike a staring contest, both held the eye contact, afraid to break their bubble of joy with foolish words. Ronan felt suspended in air. His heart was yearning for a sign, a message, a gesture that would reveal the real thoughts behind those brown mysterious eyes of his.

“Am I truly alive for I see an angel in disguise in front of me?” he cracked a smile as his lips became two thin lines curled upwards.

“Seyvon?” Ronan dared to ask after recognizing the attempt of poetry the older tried to show.

“Hello, Ronan!” the patient got engulfed in a hug as his hands clumsily crawled on Ronan’s back, half-searching for suspension and half-claiming the boy as his after all those years.

“How?” Syrex whipped his face embarrassed.

“I sent energy through his stomach first. I awakened him with the risk of failing the spell.” Agatha leaned on Drystan as she explained.

“Thank you!” Seyvon bowed his head in gratitude.

“There is one little problem.” She added.

“What’s that?” Syrex asked.

“Zolan’s magic is weak. Mine is of no use. I need Zayyan’s to regain my forces.” She forced herself to keep her eyes open.

“I thought…”

“You’re getting too attached to this world. As your friends are reconnecting with their roots, you’re becoming part of this timeline. Your energy is vanishing. I need… I need the prince to be my master again.” Agatha confessed before collapsing in Drystan’s arms who shook her gently with no response.

“How do we find Zayyan?” Zolan asked confused and scared.

“I know how. He’s our cousin, remember?” Drystan looked at Seyvon.

Outside the hospital, in the parking loath, Zolan was gathering his thoughts by pacing back and forth nervously.

“Do you have a number goal of steps?” Jeongin tried to cheer him up with a joke.

“What?”

“Nevermind. Are you worrying about what Agg said?”

“I am to blame. She brought me to this world to help her. I failed execrably.” He blocked his temples between the heels of his palms, wanting to squeezed his useless head between them in a rage moment.

“No! We don’t do that.” Jeongin noticed the gesture and caught him by the wrists, bringing his hands down to the waist level. “I may not understand everything. Mostly because no one bothered to explain it to me. But I know what thing, Chan. You’re not a failure. You’re sweet and courageous. You will help her.”

He looked at Zolan in a way that only the stars witnessing it could describe it as for his eyes sparkled with such glimmer and love. He trusted the man blindly. He had no idea what was happening, but he was sticking beside Zolan with no further questions.

“Why? Why don’t you run away from us?”

“You said that long time ago we were together, didn’t you?” Jeongin answered with a question of his own.

“Ye-yes.” Zolan confirmed, not sure where the conversation was going to.

“I would like to believe that. To know that we made it in another life. That we are fated. So I choose to accept whatever you tell me. I trust you, Chan. Or Zolan… or whatever your name is. I’ll stay with you and try my best to become the man you have loved for so long.” Jeongin looked up to see Zolan’s astonished expression.

“I’ll be the man you deserve. Though my name is not Chan. I am Zolan Woodsworth. At your service, High Cross knight.” He kissed the back of Jeongin’s palm, making the younger’s cheeks flush red. 

_____________________________

Ready to meet the prince? =)